Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > General Tech Talk > Forced Induction

Thread Title
Fueling problem

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-17-2006, 11:53 PM
htswmr6's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)
htswmr6 is on a distinguished road
Fueling problem

Well today i was leaving work and i was having a major problem with the car running and i checked the fuel ratio on my apex turbo timer, i know it is not that accurate but i was watching it at idle the car usually runs around 700 to 800 rpm, but today it was down around 500 to 600. when i got home i checked the engine over and found that the car was missing the little foam insert from the missing link so i replaced that and the car now idles like normal. But the main problem i am having is at idle and in gear when i am driving the cars fueling is off. sitting at idle the car is running pig rich but when i give it gas the car starts to really lean out and then when i let go of the gas the car dies. at regular running the car does fine and the air fuel ratio is good, but that is after i get going. For example at idle and neutral the car is at 10.0 on the tt. then when i give it some gas it goes to 14.5, but after i get off the gas it goes to 20.0 and then the car sputters and dies. anyone have a clue of what could be going on?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-18-2006, 09:18 PM
In The Turbo Game
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 334
iTrader: (0)
95h22a1turbo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by htswmr6
Well today i was leaving work and i was having a major problem with the car running and i checked the fuel ratio on my apex turbo timer, i know it is not that accurate but i was watching it at idle the car usually runs around 700 to 800 rpm, but today it was down around 500 to 600. when i got home i checked the engine over and found that the car was missing the little foam insert from the missing link so i replaced that and the car now idles like normal. But the main problem i am having is at idle and in gear when i am driving the cars fueling is off. sitting at idle the car is running pig rich but when i give it gas the car starts to really lean out and then when i let go of the gas the car dies. at regular running the car does fine and the air fuel ratio is good, but that is after i get going. For example at idle and neutral the car is at 10.0 on the tt. then when i give it some gas it goes to 14.5, but after i get off the gas it goes to 20.0 and then the car sputters and dies. anyone have a clue of what could be going on?
just to let you know. your car is not tuned!!!! get it tuned. 10.0 is really lean also if ur runnin 14.5 and 20.0 ..... thats wayyyy toooo rich man. go get thing tuned then u will be alright.
__________________
back,
Turbo or go home.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)
bard329 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bard329
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95h22a1turbo
just to let you know. your car is not tuned!!!! get it tuned. 10.0 is really lean also if ur runnin 14.5 and 20.0 ..... thats wayyyy toooo rich man. go get thing tuned then u will be alright.
agreed on the tuning....

but i think you got the numbers backwards. 10 is rich 20 is lean
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2006, 06:26 PM
In The Turbo Game
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 334
iTrader: (0)
95h22a1turbo is on a distinguished road
nah.... its rich. because if he was runnin really lean. his rings and pistons would of melted. within not even a week.
__________________
back,
Turbo or go home.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)
bard329 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bard329
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95h22a1turbo
nah.... its rich. because if he was runnin really lean. his rings and pistons would of melted. within not even a week.
i'm just sayin if the a/f ratio is 10 on a wideband meter... it's 10:1 meaning 10 air to 1 fuel, right? thats rich. 20:1 has a lot more air compaired to fuel.. so it's lean. i noticed you had a thread asking for an aem wideband... i have one myself and thats how it meters air fuel ratio.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Attaus's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: ATX
Posts: 355
iTrader: (0)
Attaus is on a distinguished road
Bard is right. 10 is rich, 20 is lean. Go cruise H-T. People always talk about how they ran their car at 12 ish to stay on the safe side. Lean isn't safe.

It's air:fuel.

Hence air to fuel ratio.

The AF does spike when you let go of the throttle. You're essentially cutting off fuel supply while the engine is forced to draw it air past the TB to keep from dying. You aren't making any power, however, which is why the motor doesn't grenade. If the motor leans out at boost with enough fuel it's most likely a tuning problem.

Posting your setup would help.
__________________
1995 Camaro Z28 6spd T-top
Intake, BBK TB, straight through exhaust, Z06 wheels
Kills: Carrera S, Mustang GT, turbo Civic, & more

Last edited by Attaus; 11-20-2006 at 12:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)
bard329 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bard329
as to the original question.... i'd suspect one of two things.. plugs or injectors. the spark plugs may be fouled... but i'm leaning more on the injectors dying. do you have stock or aftermarket? if it's stock, they might be maxing out the duty cycle. if it's aftermarket... maybe one is faulty? or clogged?

what kind of engine management are you using?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2006, 04:27 PM
In The Turbo Game
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 334
iTrader: (0)
95h22a1turbo is on a distinguished road
yes, im lookin for aem wideband. and his problem is .... tuning. His goin to melt those pistons and rings soo bad ...... by the way 12 is not safe ... i'll recommand 10.9 to 11.... thats safe. could blow the rings out but o well ?
__________________
back,
Turbo or go home.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2006, 05:04 PM
htswmr6's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 263
iTrader: (0)
htswmr6 is on a distinguished road
my setup is the f22a1 with the dsm manifold and 16g turbo. i am running 450 dms injectors, sonic cleaned, it was tuned a bit when i took it to a tunning shop around here but they couldnt finish it due to my clutch slipping. I also live in the midwest and when they tunned the car it was in the 90s and now it is in the 40s so i think that might have something to do with it. i was thinking it was an injector or a plug too the shop said they went through a few plugs while tunning it. as for engine management right now i dont have anything other then a chipped p06, i am looking at gettin a hondata unit
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)
bard329 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bard329
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95h22a1turbo
yes, im lookin for aem wideband. and his problem is .... tuning. His goin to melt those pistons and rings soo bad ...... by the way 12 is not safe ... i'll recommand 10.9 to 11.... thats safe. could blow the rings out but o well ?
in the 10's is still way too rich. ideal, under low boost... you want it mid to low 12's. stoichometric is 14.7.. an N/A will oscilate right around there.. basically between 13 and 15 and will idle a little higher.

mine is actually running a bit rich... under boost + vtec it goes to 11. i need to get my stockpile of parts installed before i get it re-tuned though
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)
bard329 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bard329
Quote:
Originally Posted by htswmr6
my setup is the f22a1 with the dsm manifold and 16g turbo. i am running 450 dms injectors, sonic cleaned, it was tuned a bit when i took it to a tunning shop around here but they couldnt finish it due to my clutch slipping. I also live in the midwest and when they tunned the car it was in the 90s and now it is in the 40s so i think that might have something to do with it. i was thinking it was an injector or a plug too the shop said they went through a few plugs while tunning it. as for engine management right now i dont have anything other then a chipped p06, i am looking at gettin a hondata unit

well like i said.. it is possible that an injector was clogged... thats a bit diffucuilt to figure out for yourself... but a sparkplug.. you can do that easily. when you got time, pull them out and check them.. in fact.. since you're pulling them out, might as well replace them... forced induction likes new (properly gapped) plugs
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.