Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 5th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
big issue guys

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
Brute is on a distinguished road
big issue guys

my drivetrain is messed up.

I was driving home from work, traffic was moving good i was in fifth, then traffic starts to build up so i need to slow down, i push the clutch in and try to down shift and my car wouldn't let me pull out of 5th gear, so i literally had to ram it out of 5th gear....traffic stops so i do to, when i go into first i have to do the same thing, ram it in because its not wanting to take it, so i start to try all the gears to see if i can make the tranny take one in, so im trying first second third fourth 5th until one bites, so i switch to first and let the clutch out easy and give it a bit of gas and my car starts bogging like crazy, trying to shut off so i have to really push the gas in to make it stay....so i do this till i get home, for about maybe 20 miles, once in gear though the car drives fine, its just pulling in and out of gears that isn't working and making the car try to turn off...

i take it to the mechanic and as i'm driving there the car does the same thing...i push the clutch in, stay in neutral, and my car starts to die, i let the clutch out and keep it in neutral and the car idles fine....i get it to the mechanic, a honda specialist and he tells me that my clutch is broken....he wants 1380 to fix it, so i take it somewhere else with this knowledge and the guy says he'll do it, so i get a new clutch put in....the car does about the same thing except now all the gears go in smoothly, the clutch is nice and soft put first gear and second gear and still making my engine shake, not as violently but enough for me to mess something else up or the new clutch...the car jumps like its trying to turn off or the clutch isn't catching...does anyone have any idea? I think maybe the hydrolic on the clutch is failing, its leaking, could that be it or something else???? anyone?! please help!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
Brute is on a distinguished road
i forgot to mention, the mechanic who did the work says he'll look at it again today, he thinks it might be the motor mounts that are loose because of the prior vibration.

I also forgot to mention that with the new clutch, although it is really soft and easy to push down and the gears go in nice and smoothly, there is vibration on the clutch when engaging it, if i'm driving at any speed and i push the clutch is there is vibration, with the vibration being stronger when i'm at higher speeds, put changing gears is still easy theres just that weird vibration at the clutch pedal and the enging bogging/shaking/vibrating of course
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 11:09 AM
BadMofo's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Riverton, NJ
Posts: 1,305
iTrader: (0)
BadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BadMofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
my drivetrain is messed up.

I was driving home from work, traffic was moving good i was in fifth, then traffic starts to build up so i need to slow down, i push the clutch in and try to down shift and my car wouldn't let me pull out of 5th gear, so i literally had to ram it out of 5th gear....traffic stops so i do to, when i go into first i have to do the same thing, ram it in because its not wanting to take it, so i start to try all the gears to see if i can make the tranny take one in, so im trying first second third fourth 5th until one bites, so i switch to first and let the clutch out easy and give it a bit of gas and my car starts bogging like crazy, trying to shut off so i have to really push the gas in to make it stay....so i do this till i get home, for about maybe 20 miles, once in gear though the car drives fine, its just pulling in and out of gears that isn't working and making the car try to turn off...

i take it to the mechanic and as i'm driving there the car does the same thing...i push the clutch in, stay in neutral, and my car starts to die, i let the clutch out and keep it in neutral and the car idles fine....i get it to the mechanic, a honda specialist and he tells me that my clutch is broken....he wants 1380 to fix it, so i take it somewhere else with this knowledge and the guy says he'll do it, so i get a new clutch put in....the car does about the same thing except now all the gears go in smoothly, the clutch is nice and soft put first gear and second gear and still making my engine shake, not as violently but enough for me to mess something else up or the new clutch...the car jumps like its trying to turn off or the clutch isn't catching...does anyone have any idea? I think maybe the hydrolic on the clutch is failing, its leaking, could that be it or something else???? anyone?! please help!!!
Well, if your clutch hydraulic system is leaking, then you are definitely going to have issues with that if you don't keep it topped off... That could be the cause of your clutch problem you had in the first place if your slave cylinder was never fully disengaging the clutch...

I'm hoping that when you were "ramming your car into gear" you didn't bend your shift fork... NEVER ram your car into gear dude. If your shifter doesn't want to easily slide into gear, ramming it is not the answer.

I don't know what could be causing your engine shaking and what not, what kind of condition are your mounts in?

Also, here's some advice...

If your clutch ever craps out on you like that again (mine just did about 3 months ago), don't ram it into gear... Turn your car off completely, shift the gear selector into first, and then put your foot down on your clutch and start your car back up... your car will lurch forward a little bit, but then you'll be able to get her moving without ramming your shifter into gear. Then, when it comes time to shift between gears, depress the clutch like you normally would (even though it's not working fully) and push lightly into the desired gear while letting your engine spin down, and eventually it'll find a sweet spot in your rpm range and pop into gear...
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 11:12 AM
BadMofo's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Riverton, NJ
Posts: 1,305
iTrader: (0)
BadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BadMofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
i forgot to mention, the mechanic who did the work says he'll look at it again today, he thinks it might be the motor mounts that are loose because of the prior vibration.

I also forgot to mention that with the new clutch, although it is really soft and easy to push down and the gears go in nice and smoothly, there is vibration on the clutch when engaging it, if i'm driving at any speed and i push the clutch is there is vibration, with the vibration being stronger when i'm at higher speeds, put changing gears is still easy theres just that weird vibration at the clutch pedal and the enging bogging/shaking/vibrating of course
Mine does the same thing... I'm not sure what causes this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
Brute is on a distinguished road
thanks for the advise, i doubt i bent the fork, i didn't ram it really hard, i played with the gears until i felt it could be pushed in with some force. the car is a 98 prelude SH ,i forgot to say that aswell, i'm really tired been working all night and day.... see the thing is i've never filled the oil reservoir for the hydrolic, is the slave cylinder the hydrolic part i'm talking about? or are these two seperate parts? and how much are they to just replace so i don't have any doubts....

the clutch was broken, the springs inside the disc were broken and one of the teeth was broken and bouncing around in there....i just don't get what it could be if it only does it in first and second....or when i'm starting to move th e car ...i'm not sure they look pretty good but i've never given them a good look so who knows, any idea on prices for motor mounts?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
Brute is on a distinguished road
im guessing theres nothing wrong with that vibration then? at the pedal- i'm a virgo things like this freak me out if i don't know what causes it or its effects lol
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 12:27 PM
94ludeguy's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: atlanta,ga
Posts: 2,834
iTrader: (9)
94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute
did u have the flywheel resurfaced??
__________________

94 si jdm h22 w/chipped p28
Georgia prelude club member #3
Georgia prelude club website
my ride<----check it out
MY 240 project~~ 300hp here i come
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
Brute is on a distinguished road
yes it was resurfaced.

Its basically the original issue except now its a bit minor, same issue just less engine shaking but still ALOT of engine shaking when shifting to first and second
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 12:52 PM
94ludeguy's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: atlanta,ga
Posts: 2,834
iTrader: (9)
94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute
sit in ur driveway put ur e-break on and put the car in first. let out the clutch just a little so that it engages. have someone look at the engine when u do this to see how much it shakes. then if it is excessive it could be ur mounts then
__________________

94 si jdm h22 w/chipped p28
Georgia prelude club member #3
Georgia prelude club website
my ride<----check it out
MY 240 project~~ 300hp here i come
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 01:12 PM
BadMofo's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Riverton, NJ
Posts: 1,305
iTrader: (0)
BadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BadMofo
You fill the master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid, but the slave cylinder and master cylinder are all part of the same system... You should definitely get that leak fixed or you are going to continue to have clutch problems.

I'm not sure what the vibration issue is, like I said... mine does it too and it's kind of unnerving lol.

The engine shaking in first and second worries me... I would check your motor mounts and transmission mounts like I said... other than that I can't really think of what it could be.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
Brute is on a distinguished road
Yeah its really strange, specially how it all started out of no where. The engine runs super strong, smooth and consistant, sometimes i run it at 100 110 for about 15 to 20 miles straight when i get off at 2 or 3 in the morning and i feel like playing with the car abit and it runs so strong....I'm positive its got to be drivetrain or some sort of mounts or the hydrolic whatevers, lol

the transmission is awesome except for the 5th syncro grinding and the clutch is brand new...i hope the mechanic fixes it to day i've got to drive 60 to 70 miles everyday for work, can't be with out a car =\ what a sucky way to spend my tax return, lol
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 377
iTrader: (0)
H22A BB6 has a reputation beyond reputeH22A BB6 has a reputation beyond reputeH22A BB6 has a reputation beyond reputeH22A BB6 has a reputation beyond reputeH22A BB6 has a reputation beyond reputeH22A BB6 has a reputation beyond reputeH22A BB6 has a reputation beyond reputeH22A BB6 has a reputation beyond reputeH22A BB6 has a reputation beyond reputeH22A BB6 has a reputation beyond reputeH22A BB6 has a reputation beyond repute
check ur clutch resivor. my uncle had the same problem he had to ram the shifter. its because his clutch resivor is leaking. also check ur motor mounts
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
Brute is on a distinguished road
Motor mounts are ok. There are no leaks except engine leaks. The gears go in so smooth now but engine still shakes on first and second...the mechanic told me that the problem is the tranny...1st and 2nd are worn he says i need to rebuild it or buy a new one...a rebuild would cost be about 1200 or i can buy a used japanese one for around 650 with 250 to install by him...how good are those jap trannies????? anyone got one?

He also suggested that since my 5th grear syncro grinds, i could take it to honda and see if they'll fix it and while being there fix my other issue's since they can't put the tranny back together if it has problems, they have to let me know of them, kinda like cheating....but he says its a possibility because that 5th gear grind is a recal on my car....the recal was for 2000 but the bulletin for it was posted 2001 on august so he says i might get away with it....

I'm thinking i'll give them a call and see what they say, if not the jap tranny is my best bet money wise...i just don't know how well they perform..... sigh

Any suggestions? The mechanic told me i can drive it around like that and it won't ruin anything but i cannot take the little clinks and clanks that i hear because of it so i need to go one way or another quick
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 03-17-2008, 09:54 AM
BadMofo's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Riverton, NJ
Posts: 1,305
iTrader: (0)
BadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond reputeBadMofo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BadMofo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Motor mounts are ok. There are no leaks except engine leaks. The gears go in so smooth now but engine still shakes on first and second...the mechanic told me that the problem is the tranny...1st and 2nd are worn he says i need to rebuild it or buy a new one...a rebuild would cost be about 1200 or i can buy a used japanese one for around 650 with 250 to install by him...how good are those jap trannies????? anyone got one?

He also suggested that since my 5th grear syncro grinds, i could take it to honda and see if they'll fix it and while being there fix my other issue's since they can't put the tranny back together if it has problems, they have to let me know of them, kinda like cheating....but he says its a possibility because that 5th gear grind is a recal on my car....the recal was for 2000 but the bulletin for it was posted 2001 on august so he says i might get away with it....

I'm thinking i'll give them a call and see what they say, if not the jap tranny is my best bet money wise...i just don't know how well they perform..... sigh

Any suggestions? The mechanic told me i can drive it around like that and it won't ruin anything but i cannot take the little clinks and clanks that i hear because of it so i need to go one way or another quick
Our cars were made and assembled in japan, so the japanese transmissions are more or less identical to ours. They have the same strengths and weaknesses, and very similar gear ratios for the most part. Your best bet is gonna be to buy a new/used (JDM or USDM, doesn't really matter) tranny and do the swap... Rebuilding is gonna cost more than it's worth when you can get a decent used transmission for cheaper. Also... remember that your transmission is not the same as the base transmission... Since you have a type sh... there is one and only one transmission that will bolt right to your block without minor to major fabrication. The M2U4, period. It is the same transmission that is in the USDM Type SH and the JDM Type S... NO other prelude transmissions will work on the Type SH block without fabrication, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The type sh block is different from the base block (regardless of what anyone tells you) and the transmissions for the two are not interchangable. The only way you can make a base model transmission work on your block is by fabbing some kind of adaptor plate that will accept the base model intermediate shaft in lieu of the type sh's ATTS unit.

It is not a simple plug and play swap. Your options are really limited to the M2U4 transmission (which are hard to come by by themself), or a custom fab job. I think someone on one of the prelude sites sells adapters that make the job easier, but I'm not sure... maybe someone else can give you some more insight.

Here are two threads with some more info on the conversion.

Link 1

Link 2
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 03-18-2008, 03:22 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
Brute is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the Info.... I'm gonna make sure I mention that to my mechanic so he can make sure the proper one is installed...he told me that my trans is more expensive because its an SH, and that he can get a used one from jap with like 30k miles on it for around 650
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.