Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 5th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
5th Gen Burning MASSIVE amounts of oil

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2014, 11:27 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)
Importjunkie is on a distinguished road
5th Gen Burning MASSIVE amounts of oil

Hey guys, I have a 2000 base with 113k on the clock. At 111k the timing belt tensioner failed leaving me stranded. I was told I would have bent valves but a compression test showed around 180 on all four cylinders, and the motor runs strong after timing belt, water pump, and tensioner were replaced. In the meantime, my car burns a stupid amount of oil, like 2 quarts in one tank. Thing is, it happens inconsistently. I've gotten in the habit of checking the oil almost every day in the morning. I'll go through half a tank and burn nothing. Then I'll drive 100 miles somewhere, check the oil next day, and the oil level is below the minimum. Has nothing to do with VTEC, b/c it happens even when I don't go in VTEC the entire tank. I don't think it's rings or valve seals b/c the motor has low miles and compression is fine. It seems to happen when I'm above 60 mph for at least 30 minutes. But sometimes it doesn't happen at all when I do this.

I have a code P0401 EGR Insufficient Flow. The idle bounces 1.5-2k for about 20 seconds when I start it cold. It has a K&N Intake. I'm positive I don't have any leaks, and if it was leaking this much I'm sure I'd see it all over my garage floor. I was also told by the previous owner (i've only had the car for two months) that it has a chip that he claimed improves gas mileage and gives some hp. I haven't even looked at the ecu yet but could this be a possible cause?

Also, the timing belt tensioner failed AGAIN last week, and I just got a call back from my mechanic saying he replaced tensioner and belt again and the motor still runs fine..

Please help me with insight on my oil issue, this is extremely frustrating and I'm almost deciding to just get rid of the car.

Last edited by Importjunkie; 04-25-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)
Importjunkie is on a distinguished road
Re: 5th Gen Burning MASSIVE amounts of oil

Another important point... When the timing belt tensioner failed the first time, it was three days after I got the car. I checked the oil when it happened to see NO oil on the dipstick, so I have a feeling this was already happening before the tensioner failed...
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2014, 05:48 AM
bykfixer's Avatar
Supreme Member
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: could you repeat the question?
Posts: 11,121
iTrader: (4)
bykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5th Gen Burning MASSIVE amounts of oil

I had a work truck like that once. Starting at 6000 miles it ran low on oil one day. Oil just disappeared. 2-3 quarts per tankful with no leaks and no smoke. Or at least what I could see.

Two things to try. First let it idle for a good 30 minutes, then rev it a few times. That work truck would smoke like a chimney for a few ticks when I did that.
Second, have somebody follow you for a little while. Chances are there's a slight smoke that you just can't see in the rear view.

I solved mine by not changing the oil for 50,000 miles. I just changed the filter. But then again it wasn't my truck. Starting at about 12k I kept the same oil in the crank case. After about 20k of same oil the consumption had begun to wane. At about 62k oil consumption was none. At 99k the company traded it in. But there was virtually no oil loss.

Try high mileage conventional 10-40 oil and see if it reduces the loss.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ogsmakdade View Post
welcome to site Carl
...is a golden car fax kinda like a golden ticket? Sure hope willy wonka didn't put any snozberries in your motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspectro29 View Post
Only seen the first one, 15 years ago in theaters. Plan on keeping it that way. Get off my lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindso View Post
I remember my first thread, asking what a noise was when I got going 110mph.
Pretty much got flamed for driving like a jackass and was told to slow down. And I'll be damned, slowing down fixed it.

God's Not Dead

Last edited by bykfixer; 04-26-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2014, 07:40 AM
tassievteclude's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 556
iTrader: (0)
tassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5th Gen Burning MASSIVE amounts of oil

First thoughts, those fuel saver chips are just a piggyback that hack an input on the ECU so they're unlikely to be able to cause oil burning (or do much at all), and valve stems seals seem to harden with age not mileage. You could very well be burning small amounts of oil constantly but such that it can't be seen out your rear view as Bykfixer said. A valve stem leak will generally pull oil into the combustion chamber as you are slowing down and sit there while idling, then when you take off it'll burn it all. You can generally tell (if it is smoking) if it is the rings or the valve stems by if it smokes at take off or all the time. I've had the stem seals harden on both my Prelude's and they both had excessive oil consumption before and none after being replaced. Mind you I have now switched to full synthetic in my track car and I burn a lot of that (like a litre in a day), but have been told that's fairly normal for fully synthetic oil under excessive Vtec. Also check the PCV valve, if it is jammed open then that could burn a fair bit. Generally on older motors running a thicker oil is a good idea too, I had to switch to 10W40 a few years back. If you are still getting good compression on all 4 cylinders then that is a good sign, but has anyone done a leak-down test? If some of the valves are bent then they won't close fully and the cylinder will not be able to hold pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2014, 07:58 AM
bykfixer's Avatar
Supreme Member
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: could you repeat the question?
Posts: 11,121
iTrader: (4)
bykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5th Gen Burning MASSIVE amounts of oil

^^ great info. Already rep'd ya for the cruise control thread.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ogsmakdade View Post
welcome to site Carl
...is a golden car fax kinda like a golden ticket? Sure hope willy wonka didn't put any snozberries in your motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspectro29 View Post
Only seen the first one, 15 years ago in theaters. Plan on keeping it that way. Get off my lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindso View Post
I remember my first thread, asking what a noise was when I got going 110mph.
Pretty much got flamed for driving like a jackass and was told to slow down. And I'll be damned, slowing down fixed it.

God's Not Dead
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)
Importjunkie is on a distinguished road
Re: 5th Gen Burning MASSIVE amounts of oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassievteclude View Post
First thoughts, those fuel saver chips are just a piggyback that hack an input on the ECU so they're unlikely to be able to cause oil burning (or do much at all), and valve stems seals seem to harden with age not mileage. You could very well be burning small amounts of oil constantly but such that it can't be seen out your rear view as Bykfixer said. A valve stem leak will generally pull oil into the combustion chamber as you are slowing down and sit there while idling, then when you take off it'll burn it all. You can generally tell (if it is smoking) if it is the rings or the valve stems by if it smokes at take off or all the time. I've had the stem seals harden on both my Prelude's and they both had excessive oil consumption before and none after being replaced. Mind you I have now switched to full synthetic in my track car and I burn a lot of that (like a litre in a day), but have been told that's fairly normal for fully synthetic oil under excessive Vtec. Also check the PCV valve, if it is jammed open then that could burn a fair bit. Generally on older motors running a thicker oil is a good idea too, I had to switch to 10W40 a few years back. If you are still getting good compression on all 4 cylinders then that is a good sign, but has anyone done a leak-down test? If some of the valves are bent then they won't close fully and the cylinder will not be able to hold pressure.
Thanks for the reply. I replaced the PCV valve few weeks ago and the problem still persists. What's the difference between leak-down and compression test? I thought compression test would tell me if I had bent valves.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2014, 07:47 PM
tassievteclude's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Posts: 556
iTrader: (0)
tassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond reputetassievteclude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 5th Gen Burning MASSIVE amounts of oil

Nope, a compression test will generally only give a small part of the picture as it is only an instantaneous maximum pressure. In a leak-down test the crank is moved to TDC on each cylinder in turn, you then pressurise the combustion chamber with a measured amount of air and see if it will hold pressure and how long it takes to de-pressurise.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-26-2014, 11:40 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)
Importjunkie is on a distinguished road
Re: 5th Gen Burning MASSIVE amounts of oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassievteclude View Post
Nope, a compression test will generally only give a small part of the picture as it is only an instantaneous maximum pressure. In a leak-down test the crank is moved to TDC on each cylinder in turn, you then pressurise the combustion chamber with a measured amount of air and see if it will hold pressure and how long it takes to de-pressurise.
Well this changes everything. Guess I can get a leak-down test from someone to find out whats really going on. Bent valves would cause this amount of oil consumption, right?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)
Importjunkie is on a distinguished road
Re: 5th Gen Burning MASSIVE amounts of oil

Update.. After talking to my mechanic he said there is a strange noise coming from the bottom end and when he was replacing the timing tensioner, the crank wobbles a little bit. It runs strong but he thinks that is why the oil is disappearing. Also suggests I'll probably need a new motor but as of now it runs fine. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Massive Oil Leak superbeefy2050 5th Gen Honda Prelude 17 07-19-2013 09:41 AM
Wiring ? Battery ? massive DRAINING Nxiong11 3rd Gen Honda Prelude 3 07-22-2012 10:12 PM
Massive Oil Leak !!!!! nick10770 3rd Gen Honda Prelude 1 02-26-2010 12:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.