Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 5th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 12:24 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)
richardsalem is on a distinguished road
Icon5 O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

I was wondering, if I throw a test pipe in instead of my cat, and it has a place for an O2 sensor, will I run rich or get a CEL? I'm wondering because I'm running low on cash and my cat is completely clogged, I can get a test pipe for like $35 but a high flow cat will be like $150, anybody have an idea?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 04:20 PM
donato1218k's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)
donato1218k is on a distinguished road
Re: O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

It will take off the cel but u wouldnt pass smog I would also get what's called an o2 spacer u can make one with spark plug foulers or buy on off the net. I believe the term is called o2 bung
__________________
DonatoBB6
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 04:29 PM
donato1218k's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)
donato1218k is on a distinguished road
Re: O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

Spark Plug Non Fouler | AutoZone.com
And search how to create one I think u need to use a drill bit to make the o2 sensor fit or
search o2 sensor eliminator and buy one already made
__________________
DonatoBB6
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 68
iTrader: (0)
richardsalem is on a distinguished road
Re: O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato1218k View Post
Spark Plug Non Fouler | AutoZone.com
And search how to create one I think u need to use a drill bit to make the o2 sensor fit or
search o2 sensor eliminator and buy one already made
I live in Michigan, no emissions tests! So I should be ok right?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2014, 08:43 PM
01PreludeBlue's Avatar
Grand Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,788
iTrader: (5)
01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to 01PreludeBlue Send a message via Yahoo to 01PreludeBlue
Re: O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

Yeah you'll be fine if there's no emission testing. I bought this BLOX Racing CEL "Check Engine Light" Eliminator Adapters - Part Number: BXFL-00108 - Sparktec Motorsports - Exhaust Flanges, Bungs, Merge Collectors
Same price and don't have to deal with any drilling.
__________________
2001 Honda Prelude Electron Blue Pearl
2000 Honda Prelude parts car (5 speed swap donor)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2014, 12:13 AM
donato1218k's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)
donato1218k is on a distinguished road
Re: O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01PreludeBlue View Post
Yeah you'll be fine if there's no emission testing. I bought this BLOX Racing CEL "Check Engine Light" Eliminator Adapters - Part Number: BXFL-00108 - Sparktec Motorsports - Exhaust Flanges, Bungs, Merge Collectors
Same price and don't have to deal with any drilling.

That's the one I was trying to find for you . I'd use that one I made mine but that one works just as good . Main reason it just takes off that annoying engine light
__________________
DonatoBB6
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: clarksville, tn
Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)
edickey75 is on a distinguished road
Re: O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

if you are thinking of buying a test pipe because your cat is clogged. save your money and just punch out the honeycombing inside your cat. then do the o2 sensor mod. you'll save yourself some money and time.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-13-2014, 04:54 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: OCNY 845
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
WideOpen224 is on a distinguished road
Re: O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

I had to speak up after my recent experience with symptoms from a clogged cat converter...98 SH 170k , ive owned it for over 100k now and it still has the original OEM cat.

I was having classic symptoms of a clogged cat...even after cleaning EGR multiple times (ports included), full tune up , valve adjustment...
random miss fires
P0420 code
sluggish starting
poor MPG

So i took the cat off after having to cut ALL the bolts, if you would still call them that, as NY rust had its way with them...

Followed the write-up i found about filling the Cat with bleach...letting it sit over night, then dumping it out , and air drying....

I can honestly say , my car runs like new again ! better than it has the whole time i have owned it....I had a test pipe already bought , b/c i planned to do the whole spacer deal, but now i will stay with my original cat... since NY emissions F'in blow!

I cant say if it restores the catalyst material....but it honestly improved my performance and gas mileage, and I was def. a skeptic about it working at first.

If not..I hope your taking your clogged Cat to the scrap yard, should fetch you some decent $$
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2014, 09:19 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)
blacklud has much to be proud ofblacklud has much to be proud ofblacklud has much to be proud ofblacklud has much to be proud ofblacklud has much to be proud ofblacklud has much to be proud ofblacklud has much to be proud ofblacklud has much to be proud ofblacklud has much to be proud of
Re: O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

Quote:
Originally Posted by WideOpen224 View Post
I had to speak up after my recent experience with symptoms from a clogged cat converter...98 SH 170k , ive owned it for over 100k now and it still has the original OEM cat.

I was having classic symptoms of a clogged cat...even after cleaning EGR multiple times (ports included), full tune up , valve adjustment...
random miss fires
P0420 code
sluggish starting
poor MPG

So i took the cat off after having to cut ALL the bolts, if you would still call them that, as NY rust had its way with them...

Followed the write-up i found about filling the Cat with bleach...letting it sit over night, then dumping it out , and air drying....

I can honestly say , my car runs like new again ! better than it has the whole time i have owned it....I had a test pipe already bought , b/c i planned to do the whole spacer deal, but now i will stay with my original cat... since NY emissions F'in blow!

I cant say if it restores the catalyst material....but it honestly improved my performance and gas mileage, and I was def. a skeptic about it working at first.

If not..I hope your taking your clogged Cat to the scrap yard, should fetch you some decent $$
this:
_http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336400
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: OCNY 845
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
WideOpen224 is on a distinguished road
Re: O2 Sensor & straight pipe question

HOW TO: Clean a clogged factory cat (http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...php?t=336400)- courtesy of Cruiserdude



Yes sir , that is the procedure I followed , and it sure made a difference in my performance... A couple bottles of bleach is a lot cheaper than a test pipe or even a new cat, it was worth a shot, and I was very happy with the results

Last edited by WideOpen224; 03-14-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATTS Oil Pipe Question mechie 5th Gen Honda Prelude 9 07-29-2013 01:27 AM
Sensor question, possibly knock sensor devilandangel32 3rd Gen Honda Prelude 14 04-21-2013 01:10 AM
Straight pipe or not? DrewludeRHD 4th Gen Honda Prelude 7 08-08-2012 02:42 AM
Project: 3" straight pipe, TurboLude twokexlv6coupe Auto Showoff 25 09-04-2009 03:51 PM
Straight pipe exhaust? inmate General Tech Talk 16 11-05-2008 12:29 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.