Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 5th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
Really In Need of Advice..

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 01:13 PM
johnny3_14's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Flo-rida
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
johnny3_14 is on a distinguished road
Icon9 Really In Need of Advice..

Hey guys so I know that there is tons of stuff on transmissions but I really need some advice because there is more than just tranny problems I'm having.
The car is a 98 base model (AT) and I took her to a shop to get an opinion because my car was dying randomly (everything would die except the dash lights and stereo, I would pull over and start the car right back up). Now I know the issue with the ignition switch on these cars so I ordered a replacement and will get that switched out in due time. But thats not the problem now, the problem is that the car does not want to get out of 2nd gear. My speedometer is not working and neither is the sport shift (tried to force it out of gear). I was on the way home when I noticed this and the only way I could drive was by putting it in D1 and going directly to D3 (D2 wont work) and thank god the shop is close because I was seriously afraid of f***ing it up any more than it already is.
So now this is where I need some help, the guy told me that the speed sensor needs to be replaced and the car would shut down because my 2nd gear was failing? So does this mean my transmission has gone to ****? Im pissed as hell because the car was at least drivable aside from the dying randomly. And when I eventually replace the VSS and ignition switch I won't even be able to test the car out because I don't want to drive on a tranny thats messed up and cause more damage.
Now.. if the cost comes out to be $2500 should I just have the car swapped to a 5spd? Im thinking no for now because I need the car to drive back and forth to school (45min-1hr every day one way) and I don't want to be constantly shifting. I've got another year and a half left of this commuting and I'm looking for longevity. Thanks in advance sorry for the essay.

Last edited by johnny3_14; 02-13-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 01:36 PM
Garurumon's Avatar
On a scale of 1 - even I can't

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Prince George, BC
Posts: 1,277
iTrader: (4)
Garurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Manual = more reliable and more power than auto
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 02:40 PM
furoc's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 200
iTrader: (0)
furoc is on a distinguished road
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

I do not know how much traffic that you have to deal with in your commute, but like Garu said the manual transmission is so much more reliable.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 02:50 PM
flyerfolife's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 591
iTrader: (0)
flyerfolife has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfolife has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfolife has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfolife has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfolife has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfolife has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfolife has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfolife has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfolife has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfolife has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfolife has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

And once you get the hang of it (a week at best) shifting will become almost involuntary
Another advantage is doing a 5 speed swap might help you sell the car down the road if it ever comes to that.
You don't just replace a prelude automatic tranny once...

Last edited by flyerfolife; 02-13-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Lazarky's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 4,820
iTrader: (1)
Lazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BECAUSE THIS HAPPENED TO ME

I have a 99 Auto with the same issues. first of all. Take it to the Honda dealer first because I had the Recall done and it was free. you shouldnt have to pay for the Actual Recal. I did however Have to pay for a new ignition switch which was causing my car to Turn off Randomly and die and also STAY ON while the key was out. pretty crazy right.

as far as the Tranny goes. CHECK YOUR FUSES!!!
I was installing some lights in the interior of my prelude. I was searching for power and it touched metal, saw some spark and smoke and was like wow! WTF was that. turned on the car and just like what happen to you. lights werent working, signals, nothing. and also only had 1 & 2 gear. I thought it was extrememly weird that I wasnt able to shift out of second even in "Sport mod or whatever its called" Tiptonic, whatever. but i wasnt able to shift. anyway, I replced the fuse taped the POWER wire I tapped into and whalla!! everything was back working fine shifting as usual.



idk if this helps because I initiated my issue. but maybe there is a power source somewhere that has grounded out or burnt. the Fuse I replaced was inside and also replaced one under the hood. I do not remember the exact one that was the issue, but I think it was Inside the Car.


to answer the second part of your question. 5speed is more reliable, but I have an auto with 209,xxx miles, just saying :knocks on wood:

Last edited by Lazarky; 02-13-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Lazarky's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 4,820
iTrader: (1)
Lazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garurumon View Post
Manual = more reliable and more power than auto
more power?? seriously?? like what 1/2 HP??? we do a 1/4 mile run were finishing less than 1 second apart dude
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 03:29 PM
johnny3_14's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Flo-rida
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
johnny3_14 is on a distinguished road
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Thanks guys for the feedback on the swap, the traffic going through Orlando gets surprisingly backed up which is why it takes so long to get to school and is also why im hesitating on doing this. However, I saw in another thread something about a cooler for the transmission? Are these expensive?

Lazarky, thanks for letting me know what happened to you because it sounds like the same thing is happening to me. The original ignition switch was taken back to Honda with the original owner back in '03 so it's possible that this thing is going bad again (they won't replace it a second time unfortunately) And for the tranny, I REALLY hope it is just fuse related. I'm going to take a look around and see if I notice any bad fuses.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Garurumon's Avatar
On a scale of 1 - even I can't

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Prince George, BC
Posts: 1,277
iTrader: (4)
Garurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarky View Post
more power?? seriously?? like what 1/2 HP??? we do a 1/4 mile run were finishing less than 1 second apart dude
If anything, more efficient at putting the power down.
Manual VS. Automatic
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 04:23 PM
wing8806's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,053
iTrader: (0)
wing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

I've had the speed sensor fail before in a Honda, easy enough to do on your own if you're mechanically inclined.

As for the shifting, clean the shift solenoids. You could also try replacing them... but are a bit expensive being $70+ each (2 total)

Fresh transmission fluid with some additive will help too.


I recommend a 5spd swap. However the above are some small things that cost less than $300 that you could attempt. How much longer the transmission will last however is a mystery in its own.



Get the ignition switch fixed.... it's not a big deal...
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Lazarky's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 4,820
iTrader: (1)
Lazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny3_14 View Post
Lazarky, thanks for letting me know what happened to you because it sounds like the same thing is happening to me. The original ignition switch was taken back to Honda with the original owner back in '03 so it's possible that this thing is going bad again (they won't replace it a second time unfortunately) And for the tranny, I REALLY hope it is just fuse related. I'm going to take a look around and see if I notice any bad fuses.

Really I thought the recall happend a little after 03, but idk...

Def go back and look because Like you, I know what your thinking, It sounds crazy that one fuse could cause all that. but that litterally happend to me bro. I had to drive to my dads shop like an iddiot in 2nd gear the whole way lol. but It was Litterally just a fuse that cause all those things not to work.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Lazarky's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 4,820
iTrader: (1)
Lazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garurumon View Post
If anything, more efficient at putting the power down.
Manual VS. Automatic
theres a difference between effeciency and power though Ruru
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 05:33 PM
johnny3_14's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Flo-rida
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
johnny3_14 is on a distinguished road
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarky View Post
Really I thought the recall happend a little after 03, but idk...

Def go back and look because Like you, I know what your thinking, It sounds crazy that one fuse could cause all that. but that litterally happend to me bro. I had to drive to my dads shop like an iddiot in 2nd gear the whole way lol. but It was Litterally just a fuse that cause all those things not to work.
lol yea it's annoying as hell too when people look at you as if your driving slow just to be an @$$!

So what are the chances that a failing gear could cause the car to die randomly? I noticed that when driving in L1 and trying to go to L2 the car wouldn't do anything until I put it in D3. When I go to D3 the car will jump I think because it's skipping 2nd gear. Now that 2nd gear is shot maybe the car won't die???
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Lazarky's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 4,820
iTrader: (1)
Lazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny3_14 View Post
lol yea it's annoying as hell too when people look at you as if your driving slow just to be an @$$!

So what are the chances that a failing gear could cause the car to die randomly? I noticed that when driving in L1 and trying to go to L2 the car wouldn't do anything until I put it in D3. When I go to D3 the car will jump I think because it's skipping 2nd gear. Now that 2nd gear is shot maybe the car won't die???
that part idk just becaue i replaced the fuse rather quickly and didnt drive it more than 30 minutes that way
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2014, 08:49 AM
ProjectPrelude95's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 2,416
iTrader: (12)
ProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond reputeProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond reputeProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond reputeProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond reputeProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond reputeProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond reputeProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond reputeProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond reputeProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond reputeProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond reputeProjectPrelude95 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

I recently did the 5spd swap on my 4th gen. And it's a lot more fun to drive my prelude now. Accelerates so much quicker, comes out of turns quicker, just feels like there's more torque because there's no lag...
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 PM
itsdatoneguy's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,377
iTrader: (0)
itsdatoneguy itsdatoneguy itsdatoneguy itsdatoneguy itsdatoneguy itsdatoneguy itsdatoneguy itsdatoneguy itsdatoneguy itsdatoneguy itsdatoneguy
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarky View Post
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BECAUSE THIS HAPPENED TO ME

I have a 99 Auto with the same issues. first of all. Take it to the Honda dealer first because I had the Recall done and it was free. you shouldnt have to pay for the Actual Recal. I did however Have to pay for a new ignition switch which was causing my car to Turn off Randomly and die and also STAY ON while the key was out. pretty crazy right.

as far as the Tranny goes. CHECK YOUR FUSES!!!
I was installing some lights in the interior of my prelude. I was searching for power and it touched metal, saw some spark and smoke and was like wow! WTF was that. turned on the car and just like what happen to you. lights werent working, signals, nothing. and also only had 1 & 2 gear. I thought it was extrememly weird that I wasnt able to shift out of second even in "Sport mod or whatever its called" Tiptonic, whatever. but i wasnt able to shift. anyway, I replced the fuse taped the POWER wire I tapped into and whalla!! everything was back working fine shifting as usual.



idk if this helps because I initiated my issue. but maybe there is a power source somewhere that has grounded out or burnt. the Fuse I replaced was inside and also replaced one under the hood. I do not remember the exact one that was the issue, but I think it was Inside the Car.


to answer the second part of your question. 5speed is more reliable, but I have an auto with 209,xxx miles, just saying :knocks on wood:
listen too gooby!!! He loves automatic preludes for some reason!
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2014, 10:12 AM
bykfixer's Avatar
Supreme Member
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: could you repeat the question?
Posts: 11,121
iTrader: (4)
bykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

I'd have an auto 5th gen if they weren't so dang plagued with issues.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ogsmakdade View Post
welcome to site Carl
...is a golden car fax kinda like a golden ticket? Sure hope willy wonka didn't put any snozberries in your motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspectro29 View Post
Only seen the first one, 15 years ago in theaters. Plan on keeping it that way. Get off my lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindso View Post
I remember my first thread, asking what a noise was when I got going 110mph.
Pretty much got flamed for driving like a jackass and was told to slow down. And I'll be damned, slowing down fixed it.

God's Not Dead
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2014, 10:21 AM
Garurumon's Avatar
On a scale of 1 - even I can't

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Prince George, BC
Posts: 1,277
iTrader: (4)
Garurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarky View Post
theres a difference between effeciency and power though Ruru
Fair enough
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 AM
johnny3_14's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Flo-rida
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
johnny3_14 is on a distinguished road
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Just thought I'd update whats going on, it's been a busy few days so haven't been able to log on. Took the car to AAMCO and they are trying to see what happened with the tranny. Also, the alternator seems to be going bad (could be cause of the random death spells). Anyways, if it costs less to just have the tranny fixed rather than do the swap then I'll just keep it automatic for the time being (even though I was enjoying the prospects of driving a manual). Will post back on here once I hear from AAMCO. Thanks to everyone who gave their input!
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Lazarky's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 4,820
iTrader: (1)
Lazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garurumon View Post
Fair enough


Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny3_14 View Post
Just thought I'd update whats going on, it's been a busy few days so haven't been able to log on. Took the car to AAMCO and they are trying to see what happened with the tranny. Also, the alternator seems to be going bad (could be cause of the random death spells). Anyways, if it costs less to just have the tranny fixed rather than do the swap then I'll just keep it automatic for the time being (even though I was enjoying the prospects of driving a manual). Will post back on here once I hear from AAMCO. Thanks to everyone who gave their input!
just be careful of some places, they tell you all these things are bad, when sometimes they just want money.

if uoi have the means of doing so, just do the 5 speed swap now. it will save you MANY future issues
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 AM
johnny3_14's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Flo-rida
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
johnny3_14 is on a distinguished road
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

I feel ya man, I'm gonna find out what the cost of the repairs will be and decide from there I guess
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2014, 06:06 PM
johnny3_14's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Flo-rida
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
johnny3_14 is on a distinguished road
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

So for anyone interested I checked the amps coming out of the alternator and it was kicking out ~14Amps. So I picked up a new alternator and will be replacing that to fix the random dying issue.

Now for the tranny...
I'll be changing the transmission fluid and filter along with the speed sensor to see if I can get the car to change gears. If not then a new transmission is the only other option.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Lazarky's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 4,820
iTrader: (1)
Lazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny3_14 View Post
So for anyone interested I checked the amps coming out of the alternator and it was kicking out ~14Amps. So I picked up a new alternator and will be replacing that to fix the random dying issue.

Now for the tranny...
I'll be changing the transmission fluid and filter along with the speed sensor to see if I can get the car to change gears. If not then a new transmission is the only other option.
check the Solenoids as well. if your able to, head over to a junk yard and look for 99-02 accords LX or EX i forgot which one, for the solenoids. same tranny as the H22 same solenoids. they should know usually if you ask
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2014, 06:15 PM
johnny3_14's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Flo-rida
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
johnny3_14 is on a distinguished road
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Now theres something I over looked! I didn't know the solenoids were interchangeable.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 PM
01PreludeBlue's Avatar
Grand Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,788
iTrader: (5)
01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to 01PreludeBlue Send a message via Yahoo to 01PreludeBlue
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarky View Post
more power?? seriously?? like what 1/2 HP??? we do a 1/4 mile run were finishing less than 1 second apart dude

Manual has 5hp more which really isn't anything but if you've driven a manual Prelude vs a automatic Prelude you'll see why they "have more power" Automatic Preludes feel like snails compared to 5spd Preludes.
__________________
2001 Honda Prelude Electron Blue Pearl
2000 Honda Prelude parts car (5 speed swap donor)
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Lazarky's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 4,820
iTrader: (1)
Lazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01PreludeBlue View Post
Manual has 5hp more which really isn't anything but if you've driven a manual Prelude vs a automatic Prelude you'll see why they "have more power" Automatic Preludes feel like snails compared to 5spd Preludes.
snails or slugs i've "raced" 5 speeds and its not much difference between me and them
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Lazarky's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fort Worth Texas
Posts: 4,820
iTrader: (1)
Lazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond reputeLazarky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny3_14 View Post
Now theres something I over looked! I didn't know the solenoids were interchangeable.
yes they are, def look into that. a member here LS1_BB6 was with us on our way to Austin for BBA meet and had no 4th gear on his auto prelude. swapped solenoids with someone in Austin and WALA, 4th gear back.

I forget which trim accord, but the 99-2002 version
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 PM
wing8806's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,053
iTrader: (0)
wing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond reputewing8806 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny3_14 View Post
Now theres something I over looked! I didn't know the solenoids were interchangeable.
Post #9 in this thread

Really In Need of Advice..


Sometimes I feel that my posts are just overlooked due to most thinking I don't even own a 'lude anymore
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 PM
johnny3_14's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Flo-rida
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
johnny3_14 is on a distinguished road
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing8806 View Post
Post #9 in this thread

Really In Need of Advice..


Sometimes I feel that my posts are just overlooked due to most thinking I don't even own a 'lude anymore
lol sorry man I forgot you mentioned that (trying to balance this with everything else has been a pain) and I haven't read the top of the thread in a few days.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 PM
bykfixer's Avatar
Supreme Member
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: could you repeat the question?
Posts: 11,121
iTrader: (4)
bykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Ok Johnnie, I found a list of cars you can pillage in your local junkyard. Parts usually come with a 30 day warranty.
Tell the dude you hand your $1 to what you're doing.
e'll likely print you a list of where the cars you desire are in the yard. And be sure to ask about return policies. If you buy a part do not remove the paint mark they put on it to ensure you can exchange it if need be.

Here's your list....
28010-PDW-315 - Honda SOLENOID ASSY.
Don't know if that's your exact part, but for demonstration purposes...

Part Detail

Go here^^ find your category. Then find your part #. Click on that part. The part # is highlighted for ease of typing in the search bar and BAM! Instant crossmatch.

Try roadkillcustoms.com for junkyards near you.
Or car-part.com used parts.

Try what Wings said in that cleaning the solenoid with brake part cleaner.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ogsmakdade View Post
welcome to site Carl
...is a golden car fax kinda like a golden ticket? Sure hope willy wonka didn't put any snozberries in your motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspectro29 View Post
Only seen the first one, 15 years ago in theaters. Plan on keeping it that way. Get off my lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindso View Post
I remember my first thread, asking what a noise was when I got going 110mph.
Pretty much got flamed for driving like a jackass and was told to slow down. And I'll be damned, slowing down fixed it.

God's Not Dead

Last edited by bykfixer; 02-20-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 02-20-2014, 09:07 PM
johnny3_14's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Flo-rida
Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)
johnny3_14 is on a distinguished road
Re: Really In Need of Advice..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
Ok Johnnie, I found a list of cars you can pillage in your local junkyard. Parts usually come with a 30 day warranty.
Tell the dude you hand your $1 to what you're doing.
e'll likely print you a list of where the cars you desire are in the yard. And be sure to ask about return policies. If you buy a part do not remove the paint mark they put on it to ensure you can exchange it if need be.

Here's your list....
28010-PDW-315 - Honda SOLENOID ASSY.
Don't know if that's your exact part, but for demonstration purposes...

Part Detail

Go here^^ find your category. Then find your part #. Click on that part. The part # is highlighted for ease of typing in the search bar and BAM! Instant crossmatch.

Try roadkillcustoms.com for junkyards near you.
Or car-part.com used parts.

Try what Wings said in that cleaning the solenoid with brake part cleaner.
Wow thank you bykfixer, once again you save me from endless hours of searching theres only one junkyard within 5 miles of here (that I'm aware of) so hopefully this will help. I wonder if I can find some VTEC emblems for the trunk. The previous owner had removed ALL the decals and emblems so I've been slowly giving the car back her sense of identity.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th gen prelude, transmission


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on engine series and general advice? Troopiec 4th Gen Honda Prelude 7 06-30-2011 07:26 AM
i want to buy these but i need advice! 99preludeQZ I.C.E. 6 06-08-2011 08:51 AM
advice on this lip kit please! M_Stack 5th Gen Honda Prelude 16 05-23-2011 01:19 AM
really need advice crate2819 5th Gen Honda Prelude 8 02-04-2009 04:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.