Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 5th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
Need opinions

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2013, 04:28 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)
iRoarzer is on a distinguished road
Need opinions

So I'm deciding whether to get the Type S front and rear seats and sell my SiR front seats. Or just keep it, save my money, and hopefully buy better parts when some of my current parts go out. (Coilovers, Retros, etc).

What would you guys do?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Garurumon's Avatar
On a scale of 1 - even I can't

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Prince George, BC
Posts: 1,277
iTrader: (4)
Garurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need opinions

I would buy coilovers lol. Biggest impact on performance by far.. I wouldn't waste money on a seat swap unless I was putting in aftermarket seats (Recaro, etc).
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Garurumon's Avatar
On a scale of 1 - even I can't

 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Prince George, BC
Posts: 1,277
iTrader: (4)
Garurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond reputeGarurumon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need opinions

I mean of course by buy coilovers save money to replace or upgrade lol.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2013, 12:11 PM
bykfixer's Avatar
Supreme Member
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: could you repeat the question?
Posts: 11,121
iTrader: (4)
bykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need opinions

What are your goals for the car? Show or Go?
If both, which one is higher on your list?

My opinion is to do a user car (not beater) in a way that when you step outside it's likely your car has not been burglarized. Deductibles, broken glass and all that jazz remains after the emotions have settled. My choice of wheels etc are based on that. It sucks, but I live in real-ville.

A garage queen? Different matter. Recaros.

But my opinion would be the seats swap and save for new coilovers if you already have them.
What is it about the S seats you like better? No wrong answer here, just that you have rare seats already.

Either way you go, enjoy that Prelude my man.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ogsmakdade View Post
welcome to site Carl
...is a golden car fax kinda like a golden ticket? Sure hope willy wonka didn't put any snozberries in your motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspectro29 View Post
Only seen the first one, 15 years ago in theaters. Plan on keeping it that way. Get off my lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindso View Post
I remember my first thread, asking what a noise was when I got going 110mph.
Pretty much got flamed for driving like a jackass and was told to slow down. And I'll be damned, slowing down fixed it.

God's Not Dead
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)
iRoarzer is on a distinguished road
Re: Need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garurumon View Post
I would buy coilovers lol. Biggest impact on performance by far.. I wouldn't waste money on a seat swap unless I was putting in aftermarket seats (Recaro, etc).
To be honest, I wouldn't be able to get new coils until my current ones blow, so I'm not sure when that'll be, but I have Tein ss right now, and they seem to still be working great, but I was a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
What are your goals for the car? Show or Go?
If both, which one is higher on your list?

My opinion is to do a user car (not beater) in a way that when you step outside it's likely your car has not been burglarized. Deductibles, broken glass and all that jazz remains after the emotions have settled. My choice of wheels etc are based on that. It sucks, but I live in real-ville.

A garage queen? Different matter. Recaros.

But my opinion would be the seats swap and save for new coilovers if you already have them.
What is it about the S seats you like better? No wrong answer here, just that you have rare seats already.

Either way you go, enjoy that Prelude my man.

I would say that my prelude will most likely have to be sitting outside now, because I'm going to college so there ain't no more garage for it. Sadly. Well, my goals for the car is just to look nice tbh, because I highly doubt I can afford performance mods until I have a real job, because I know for sure, that once I buy one thing, it won't stop my urge. Haha!

And the reason why I was thinking about the type s seats, is because I've always wanted those beautiful seats, :P, and to be honest I've had racing seats before, I had Corbeau A4 seats and I've also sat in s2k seats as we'll, and me being like... 5'2. I can't really push my luck with those seats because it's harder to reach the pedal. That's how I came up with these SiR seats by a trade for those Corbeau. But right now I have the red fronts and the original rear so it's kinda mismatched, and I'm a picky person you could say.

I've tried thinking about other mods that would be more beneficial for my car, but I think I almost have it at my "preferred state", I have coils, rims (rsx type s), I bought and painted a OEM lip kit, foglights, maintenance(luckily got the timing belt right as it was shredding 1/3 left of it when I replaced it). Then I got audio, new thermal r&d exhaust, camber and toe arms kit. I wouldn't know what else I need to make my car better (because I always want the best for my baby!) but I feel like I just wanted an opinion from you guys, what do you think I'm missing? I feel like it's the seats... They're so beautiful! Haha
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2013, 02:37 PM
bykfixer's Avatar
Supreme Member
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: could you repeat the question?
Posts: 11,121
iTrader: (4)
bykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need opinions

Seats it is then.

You sound well grounded. Good for you. Sounds like you've made wise choices along the way.
TR exhaust? Good choice! Dual tip? That one looks factory and doesn't attract kleptos like those big oulet pipe kind. I like the sound. Coilovers are fairly stealth.

Good catch on the t-belt. Phew!!!

Far as the best for your car... good wax, and plenty of maintenance. Treat her right and she'll love you tonight.
You're right about performance mods. My disease began at 97 ea.... because Hot Wheels.

Side note. I'm 5'10" and found that when the seat was right for clutching, head room was an issue. I like it forward like in a race car and my ballcap brim rubbed the sunvisor. Kept knocking my hat off. At 5'2" I suppose the cab for you is like that poridge was gold-ee-lox... juuuuust right.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ogsmakdade View Post
welcome to site Carl
...is a golden car fax kinda like a golden ticket? Sure hope willy wonka didn't put any snozberries in your motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspectro29 View Post
Only seen the first one, 15 years ago in theaters. Plan on keeping it that way. Get off my lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindso View Post
I remember my first thread, asking what a noise was when I got going 110mph.
Pretty much got flamed for driving like a jackass and was told to slow down. And I'll be damned, slowing down fixed it.

God's Not Dead
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 PM
01PreludeBlue's Avatar
Grand Member

 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 1,788
iTrader: (5)
01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute01PreludeBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to 01PreludeBlue Send a message via Yahoo to 01PreludeBlue
Re: Need opinions

Have you considered a rear sway bar? Best suspension upgrade you can do for our cars they aren't expensive either.
__________________
2001 Honda Prelude Electron Blue Pearl
2000 Honda Prelude parts car (5 speed swap donor)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 PM
SoFlaKidd's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: locked in the basement
Posts: 4,151
iTrader: (1)
SoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond reputeSoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond reputeSoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond reputeSoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond reputeSoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond reputeSoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond reputeSoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond reputeSoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond reputeSoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond reputeSoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond reputeSoFlaKidd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need opinions

love my s2k seats
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0B5TA View Post
welcome. I got some bad news, nobody wins at the prelude game lol
Florida residents join our Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Flor...ludes/?fref=nf
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Sideswipe SI's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Googlemap says I'm here... Dafuq?
Posts: 4,230
iTrader: (3)
Sideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need opinions

Take ballroom dance classes, that way when you see her....

You can literally sweep her off her feet and into your prelude. Hot girl in prelude:

BEST MOD EVAH


Or just save up for turbo
__________________
Quote:
SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BA B20A 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
Prelude: Because all great stories have one. Just like Honda.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)
iRoarzer is on a distinguished road
Re: Need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
Seats it is then.

You sound well grounded. Good for you. Sounds like you've made wise choices along the way.
TR exhaust? Good choice! Dual tip? That one looks factory and doesn't attract kleptos like those big oulet pipe kind. I like the sound. Coilovers are fairly stealth.

Good catch on the t-belt. Phew!!!

Far as the best for your car... good wax, and plenty of maintenance. Treat her right and she'll love you tonight.
You're right about performance mods. My disease began at 97 ea.... because Hot Wheels.

Side note. I'm 5'10" and found that when the seat was right for clutching, head room was an issue. I like it forward like in a race car and my ballcap brim rubbed the sunvisor. Kept knocking my hat off. At 5'2" I suppose the cab for you is like that poridge was gold-ee-lox... juuuuust right.
It seems like i most likely will be getting them, already found a decent deal on them, pretty good condition.
I love the Thermal exhaust, i love the dual tip, its not overplayed at all and its a nice deep tone.

I love waxing my car and detailing it and taking care of it. Everytime i know im planning on detailing my car, i spend like 6-8 hours just cleaning and detailing! LOL, i get in trobule sometimes because im in the garage all day and night.

LOL im laughing at all you witty little jokes, you funny! And yeah, i'm really comfortable in thesde seats, its probably one of the main reasons why i chose a 5th gen over a 4th. (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01PreludeBlue View Post
Have you considered a rear sway bar? Best suspension upgrade you can do for our cars they aren't expensive either.
I have considered a rear sway bar! It'll probably be what i get next after these seats! I have a Neuspeed front strut bar (which i know did nothing but add 500000hp and made my bay prettier by itself). The reason why i wasn't so upt to it just yet was because i researched and heard that all that doesn't go well together unless you have the whole package (sway bar, tie bars, upper rear and front strut bars, etc.). One day for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaKidd View Post
love my s2k seats
I love them too, but i just wish i wasnt too short...

@Sideswipe

Now shes pretty... BUT. I CANT SWIPE UP MY BEAUTIFUL GIRLFRIEND INTO MY PRELUDE ANYDAY! :D
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Sideswipe SI's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Googlemap says I'm here... Dafuq?
Posts: 4,230
iTrader: (3)
Sideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need opinions

A'ights, just been too many "what should i do with my money threads" going on lately.

I shoulda just said "save for turbo"
__________________
Quote:
SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BA B20A 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
Prelude: Because all great stories have one. Just like Honda.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2013, 12:13 PM
static420's Avatar
iTell water where to go

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Planet of the rains
Posts: 1,867
iTrader: (0)
static420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRoarzer View Post
I have considered a rear sway bar! It'll probably be what i get next after these seats! I have a Neuspeed front strut bar (which i know did nothing but add 500000hp and made my bay prettier by itself). The reason why i wasn't so upt to it just yet was because i researched and heard that all that doesn't go well together unless you have the whole package (sway bar, tie bars, upper rear and front strut bars, etc.). One day for sure!
This is where it gets fun, necessity is thrown out the window and personal preference wins the day... We all have our idea of what "toight" is when it comes to our cars handling. The front strut bar is nice, but doesnt have such a drastic effect as removing the front sway and beefing up the rear lower sway. behing your rear seat is the 4th gens equivalent to a c pillar bar, it can be strengthened as well with an aftermarket goodie. Ridding yourself of that contraption can save you 15 or so pounds and replace with an indestructible lightweight hollow tube for stability and rigidity. Upgrading rear lower sway mounts is a way to go too. That way you don't have to worry about ripping your rear sway bar out on a corner. You can customize endlinks to couple that beefy bar to the knuckles, out of some heims joints (there are threads on it) you can get at hardware stores as well as some various other parts you could order online. If you undertake a suspension route, you should study a bit on it. There are many different setups, each has it's own advantages, I don't think there really is a full package out there, unless it's on a 3rd gen Those bastards got some grip !

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ll-Center.aspx

For example I just got SPC upper adj balljoints and where the taper sits in the knuckle will be higher than before, increasing the gap between knuckle to upper balljoint, changing my roll center. I will have to figure out what to do to make it flush, or tweak something else to maintain factory'ish roll center, amidst upgrades and lowering, and possibly 5 lug, together with the stupid washer*lol, can change my roll center too.. Let the reading begin !
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe SI View Post
Youth is truly wasted on the young

Last edited by static420; 11-25-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 11-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 249
iTrader: (0)
iRoarzer is on a distinguished road
Re: Need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe SI View Post
A'ights, just been too many "what should i do with my money threads" going on lately.

I shoulda just said "save for turbo"
Turbo... That sounds fun, but there is so much money involved with it... The funny thing about turbo is well.. The story is, i usually drive my new college friends around, and they have average cars you can say. And i have this select group of friends that i hangout with, and everytime they go into the lude, they believe that its turbo'ed because its so fast, espically for a honda you can say. I tell them that im not, but they stand by the assumption that i have a turbo... LOL I don't drive agressively either, so i don't know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by static420 View Post
This is where it gets fun, necessity is thrown out the window and personal preference wins the day... We all have our idea of what "toight" is when it comes to our cars handling. The front strut bar is nice, but doesnt have such a drastic effect as removing the front sway and beefing up the rear lower sway. behing your rear seat is the 4th gens equivalent to a c pillar bar, it can be strengthened as well with an aftermarket goodie. Ridding yourself of that contraption can save you 15 or so pounds and replace with an indestructible lightweight hollow tube for stability and rigidity. Upgrading rear lower sway mounts is a way to go too. That way you don't have to worry about ripping your rear sway bar out on a corner. You can customize endlinks to couple that beefy bar to the knuckles, out of some heims joints (there are threads on it) you can get at hardware stores as well as some various other parts you could order online. If you undertake a suspension route, you should study a bit on it. There are many different setups, each has it's own advantages, I don't think there really is a full package out there, unless it's on a 3rd gen Those bastards got some grip !

It

For example I just got SPC upper adj balljoints and where the taper sits in the knuckle will be higher than before, increasing the gap between knuckle to upper balljoint, changing my roll center. I will have to figure out what to do to make it flush, or tweak something else to maintain factory'ish roll center, amidst upgrades and lowering, and possibly 5 lug, together with the stupid washer*lol, can change my roll center too.. Let the reading begin !
WELL THEN. You just introduced all that into my life and i can definately say i am a lot more interested because now i know the more specific benefits of certain parts, and i feel like this is most likely my next step for my car now! Time to start researching ! (:
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2013, 05:20 PM
static420's Avatar
iTell water where to go

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Planet of the rains
Posts: 1,867
iTrader: (0)
static420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond reputestatic420 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need opinions

So many people have focused on suspension to no end and forgotten about tire traction.. Just as important, no cheaping out on tires.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe SI View Post
Youth is truly wasted on the young
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 11-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Sideswipe SI's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Googlemap says I'm here... Dafuq?
Posts: 4,230
iTrader: (3)
Sideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond reputeSideswipe SI has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need opinions

I'm not even gonna shamelessly plug my tire info thread, but it's in general tech .

A nice set of pirelli neros or fallen azenis dot comp always have a soft spot in my heart lol

Steel braided brake lines work too
__________________
Quote:
SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BA B20A 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
Prelude: Because all great stories have one. Just like Honda.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need opinions 97playrude General Tech Talk 3 10-09-2011 11:41 PM
Opinions? andrewcjduong 5th Gen Honda Prelude 12 09-20-2011 07:46 PM
I need some opinions! Padovakid22 4th Gen Honda Prelude 8 01-13-2010 10:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.