Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 5th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)
mikha619 is on a distinguished road
2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

When I put my lude in park it won't let me shift back to D unless I turn the car off and on. Please don't sat get 5 spd swap I just want to know what the problem is thanks.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 PM
tjsh22a4's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sacramento, Ca
Posts: 179
iTrader: (0)
tjsh22a4 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

sounds like ur trans is going out i would go get it diagnoised to see what its doing. But my guess is that ur pumps failing or ur low on fluid
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 08:27 PM
dr2day's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 874
iTrader: (1)
dr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Its dead dude...Mine is now doing the same thing! Thankfully I have been searching for decent parts for sometime now, just have to fork over the money..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)
mikha619 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

The tranny is new tho I have warrenty on it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Drjless's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ontario
Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)
Drjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

is it possibly the brake shift interlock. when you are in park and push the brake do you hear a noticeably audible click from the shifter area. that is a solenoid that lets you shift out of p. could be a solenoid problem or a problem with the brake sensor. could be.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
ogsmakdade's Avatar
functioning on impatience

Photobucket
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: progression through unlearning
Posts: 13,921
iTrader: (6)
ogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ogsmakdade
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

dude... if it's under warranty, take it back to the place where the work was performed.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe SI View Post
OGGS is a stuff a nerd in the locker type. He's only mellowed out 3 months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing8806 View Post
As it is, I wouldn't trust you washing my balls. And I typically let any trick hoe from OT do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
Reading this thread was like watching pulp fiction the first time...

Cool quote Utopia.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 PM
zpirbhai's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 144
iTrader: (1)
zpirbhai is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Did this happen before or after you had your "Auto Launching" frenzy? Possibly could have caused it?
__________________
2001 Prelude SE (Base w/ Leather)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 PM
dr2day's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 874
iTrader: (1)
dr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Is this the auto launch guy? lol
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:47 PM
zpirbhai's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 144
iTrader: (1)
zpirbhai is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2day View Post
Is this the auto launch guy? lol
Yes indeed.
__________________
2001 Prelude SE (Base w/ Leather)
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 PM
dr2day's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 874
iTrader: (1)
dr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

OMG that happened quick! lol
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)
mikha619 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

I never did launch it I took everyones advice. But I figured it out when I press the break pretty hard it unlocks. But another thing is when I am breaking and the car comes to a stop it jerks a tiny bit what is that
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)
mikha619 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

You guys. When I wanna do something I ask for advice first. I asked and I took your advice
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Drjless's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ontario
Posts: 261
iTrader: (0)
Drjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond reputeDrjless has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

so its your brake sensor then. you can check to see if its aligned properly. one thing you can do is see when the lights come on. your brake lights are run through the same sensor. if its in park, you should only have to move it about half an inch and you should hear a click in the shifter and the brake lights should come on. check that. if the lights dont come on for a bit or if the click happens long after you push it, thats probably the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 PM
zpirbhai's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 144
iTrader: (1)
zpirbhai is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikha619 View Post
But another thing is when I am breaking and the car comes to a stop it jerks a tiny bit what is that

Im no auto prelude expert but it seems like that jerk is the car transitioning back to neutral

Either way I agree with the above - bring it in to whoever replaced/fixed the tranny
__________________
2001 Prelude SE (Base w/ Leather)
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)
mikha619 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpirbhai View Post
Im no auto prelude expert but it seems like that jerk is the car transitioning back to neutral

Either way I agree with the above - bring it in to whoever replaced/fixed the tranny
Okay I'm going to. But do you think its a serious problem?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 PM
andrewcjduong's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 888
iTrader: (0)
andrewcjduong has a reputation beyond reputeandrewcjduong has a reputation beyond reputeandrewcjduong has a reputation beyond reputeandrewcjduong has a reputation beyond reputeandrewcjduong has a reputation beyond reputeandrewcjduong has a reputation beyond reputeandrewcjduong has a reputation beyond reputeandrewcjduong has a reputation beyond reputeandrewcjduong has a reputation beyond reputeandrewcjduong has a reputation beyond reputeandrewcjduong has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Funny how he made a thread about auto launching and now his tranny's dead.

Anyways. Sounds like your tranny's bout to go. Had the same problem with my Acura CL. It'd just neutral in D. The quicker you get it looked at, the less money it'll cost you... or the company if they'll warranty that.
__________________
2004 Acura TSX - Current
1999 Honda Prelude Type-SH - SOLD

Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 PM
bb6chick's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)
bb6chick is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikha619 View Post
When I put my lude in park it won't let me shift back to D unless I turn the car off and on. Please don't sat get 5 spd swap I just want to know what the problem is thanks.
Mine did that a couple times after I bought the car, changed the tranny fliud and never did it again....
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 PM
illluder's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 210
iTrader: (0)
illluder is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drjless View Post
is it possibly the brake shift interlock. when you are in park and push the brake do you hear a noticeably audible click from the shifter area. that is a solenoid that lets you shift out of p. could be a solenoid problem or a problem with the brake sensor. could be.

+1

and +1 for taking it back to the ppl that installed it
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)
mikha619 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb6chick View Post
Mine did that a couple times after I bought the car, changed the tranny fliud and never did it again....
Hmmm really??? The fluid looks good on the stick. Should I change the fluid anway
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 11:02 PM
dr2day's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 874
iTrader: (1)
dr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Check the mini filters on the clutch cylinoid thingy
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)
mikha619 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

I have no idea what that is ill just take It im
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 PM
dr2day's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 874
iTrader: (1)
dr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond reputedr2day has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

#5 Lock up solenoid - in picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg at-sensor-solenoid-455816.jpg (88.3 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 07:44 AM
c1iffyp's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)
c1iffyp has a spectacular aura aboutc1iffyp has a spectacular aura aboutc1iffyp has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcjduong View Post
Funny how he made a thread about auto launching and now his tranny's dead.

Anyways. Sounds like your tranny's bout to go. Had the same problem with my Acura CL. It'd just neutral in D. The quicker you get it looked at, the less money it'll cost you... or the company if they'll warranty that.

^Pretty much^
__________________




1988- Honda Prelude Si 4ws Jdm b20a swapped.

1993- Honda Prelude Si H23a1 (Totaled)

1990- Honda Prelude Si 4WS (ex)
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 09:34 AM
soto2635's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: strong island,ny
Posts: 2,533
iTrader: (6)
soto2635 has a reputation beyond reputesoto2635 has a reputation beyond reputesoto2635 has a reputation beyond reputesoto2635 has a reputation beyond reputesoto2635 has a reputation beyond reputesoto2635 has a reputation beyond reputesoto2635 has a reputation beyond reputesoto2635 has a reputation beyond reputesoto2635 has a reputation beyond reputesoto2635 has a reputation beyond reputesoto2635 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to soto2635
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

yeah take it back get it fixed, check you fluid, solenoids, etc, if your going to keep it auto for a while buy yourself a tranny cooler to help it last a bit longer. otherwise start saving
__________________
N.Y.P.O.C.
Everything you need to know bout the 5spd swap I MEAN EVERYTHING!!! CLICK Here

FAQ's auto tranny failure click HERE and click HERE

Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 10:34 AM
spoonh23's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,444
iTrader: (8)
spoonh23 has a reputation beyond reputespoonh23 has a reputation beyond reputespoonh23 has a reputation beyond reputespoonh23 has a reputation beyond reputespoonh23 has a reputation beyond reputespoonh23 has a reputation beyond reputespoonh23 has a reputation beyond reputespoonh23 has a reputation beyond reputespoonh23 has a reputation beyond reputespoonh23 has a reputation beyond reputespoonh23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

nuetral safety switch. its like $80 from autozone. but i just hit up the junkyard and got it for free. just replaced mine like 2 weeks ago.
/thread lol
__________________
Swapped and dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky65 View Post
One does not simply

VTEC twice a week...
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Beaker's Avatar
PRELUDEless since 06/14
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: fatcottonwood, NM
Posts: 2,999
iTrader: (1)
Beaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

that's 2 threads now about automatic trannies with misinformation. IF YOU DON'T KNOW KEEP YOUR ****IN MOUTH SHUT. ain't yo mama ever told you it's better to feel stupid then to open your mouth and remove all doubt? i'm deleting posts now if i find anymore stupid **** don't just guess an answer. and quit being a ****in smart ass about your answers. if you're no auto expert then why the **** would you even attempt to answer. first of all automatic trannies don't switch to neutral upon coming to a stop. and also, at any speed, if you step on the clutch or shift to neutral, do you feel a jerk? no.

that slight jerk when you're coming to a stop is it shifting from 3rd to 1st. (it skips 2nd). if it's doing it after you stop it's taking to long to shift and that is a problem if it does it right before you stop, it's normal. these trannies are naturally jerky. so in an effort to try and reduce it's jerkyness, they programmed it to skip 2nd. and not downshift till you are nearly at a stop (3-4mph) i guess they thought it would make the shift more smooth we see how well that worked right? no it just made it worse. since the tranny doesn't like to downshift, you're now practically stuck in 3rd at 3mph. and it takes a good 2-3 seconds to down shift to 1st if you don't do it right. you just get used to it and learn its shift points. it's not a mechanical issue, it's a programming issue. they tried WAY to hard with the prelude. but then again, they don't call it a prelude for nothing... it is (or rather was) honda's test bed. mine has done it since it was brand new. still does it today, 11 years and 98k miles later. i'm just used to it and learned how to work around it.

as for your other issue, like everyone said, take it in if it's under warranty.
__________________
μολὼν λαβέ from my cold, dead hands


"Voting FOR someone based on race/skin color is IDENTICAL to voting AGAINST someone based on race/skin color. Judge someone (positively or negatively) based solely on their race, by definition YOU ARE A RACIST... period" -Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Speed
Drew can be a bigger asshole than me, and tell them in 16353 ways that they're a moron for wasting his time, and still not answer them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogsmakdade
I am not helping you any more. you're a prick

Last edited by Beaker; 05-06-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)
mikha619 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
that's 2 threads now about automatic trannies with misinformation. IF YOU DON'T KNOW KEEP YOUR ****IN MOUTH SHUT. ain't yo mama ever told you it's better to feel stupid then to open your mouth and remove all doubt? i'm deleting posts now if i find anymore stupid **** don't just guess an answer. and quit being a ****in smart ass about your answers. if you're no auto expert then why the **** would you even attempt to answer. first of all automatic trannies don't switch to neutral upon coming to a stop. and also, at any speed, if you step on the clutch or shift to neutral, do you feel a jerk? no.

that slight jerk when you're coming to a stop is it shifting from 3rd to 1st. (it skips 2nd). if it's doing it after you stop it's taking to long to shift and that is a problem if it does it right before you stop, it's normal. these trannies are naturally jerky. so in an effort to try and reduce it's jerkyness, they programmed it to skip 2nd. and not downshift till you are nearly at a stop (3-4mph) i guess they thought it would make the shift more smooth we see how well that worked right? no it just made it worse. since the tranny doesn't like to downshift, you're now practically stuck in 3rd at 3mph. and it takes a good 2-3 seconds to down shift to 1st if you don't do it right. you just get used to it and learn its shift points. it's not a mechanical issue, it's a programming issue. they tried WAY to hard with the prelude. but then again, they don't call it a prelude for nothing... it is (or rather was) honda's test bed. mine has done it since it was brand new. still does it today, 11 years and 98k miles later. i'm just used to it and learned how to work around it.

as for your other issue, like everyone said, take it in if it's under warranty.
Ok so your telling me that if it jerks right before I stop then its normal but if it jerks after then its a problem?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Beaker's Avatar
PRELUDEless since 06/14
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: fatcottonwood, NM
Posts: 2,999
iTrader: (1)
Beaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

yep. i don't know what the exact problem. but i do remember, when my dad took the prelude in because he thought what it was doing was an issue with the tranny. they took it around the block. they told him it's not a problem it's just the way the tranny is built. it's just really jerky. something to do with the valves.. the way the guy described it was kinda like the solenoids that direct pressure in the tranny that are responsible for changing gears stick because of the close tolerances they used building this tranny. that is also why you can feel such a huge difference when the tranny is cold and when it's hot. also the internal clutches probably have something to do with it along with the very low stall torque converter... you no doubt have probably driven in a ford/chevy/dodge. their trannies are very soft when they switch gears. they generally have higher stalls and softer clutches. at least that is what tranny specialist told me. every auto prelude i've driven in (3 different ones) all drive like that. and i'm talking about the same ones i mentioned in your other thread.

one way to tell for sure is to move the gear shifter to the manual setting and just let it downshift on its own when you're stopping. watch the gear display on your gauges and you'll see it very briefly display 2 before it displays 1 as you're coming to a stop (or after if that's what you are experiencing)
__________________
μολὼν λαβέ from my cold, dead hands


"Voting FOR someone based on race/skin color is IDENTICAL to voting AGAINST someone based on race/skin color. Judge someone (positively or negatively) based solely on their race, by definition YOU ARE A RACIST... period" -Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Speed
Drew can be a bigger asshole than me, and tell them in 16353 ways that they're a moron for wasting his time, and still not answer them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogsmakdade
I am not helping you any more. you're a prick

Last edited by Beaker; 05-06-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)
mikha619 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
yep. i don't know what the exact problem. but i do remember, when my dad took the prelude in because he thought what it was doing was an issue with the tranny. they took it around the block. they told him it's not a problem it's just the way the tranny is built. it's just really jerky. something to do with the valves.. the way the guy described it was kinda like the solenoids that direct pressure in the tranny that are responsible for changing gears stick because of the close tolerances they used building this tranny. that is also why you can feel such a huge difference when the tranny is cold and when it's hot. also the internal clutches probably have something to do with it along with the very low stall torque converter... you no doubt have probably driven in a ford/chevy/dodge. their trannies are very soft when they switch gears. they generally have higher stalls and softer clutches. at least that is what tranny specialist told me. every auto prelude i've driven in (3 different ones) all drive like that. and i'm talking about the same ones i mentioned in your other thread.

one way to tell for sure is to move the gear shifter to the manual setting and just let it downshift on its own when you're stopping. watch the gear display on your gauges and you'll see it very briefly display 2 before it displays 1 as you're coming to a stop (or after if that's what you are experiencing)
Ok I'm going to try that. What if it doesn't jerk in manual? Does that mean what its doing When the gear shifter is in auto is normal?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Beaker's Avatar
PRELUDEless since 06/14
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: fatcottonwood, NM
Posts: 2,999
iTrader: (1)
Beaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond reputeBeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2000 AUTO WONT SHIFT HELP PLEASE ASAP !!

it will jerk in manual. you're just doing it in manual to verify it does it when it's shifting gears. and it's not slipping or something... if it doesn't do it in manual... i don't know what to tell you, that's a realm in which i am not familiar. everything that happens in automatic should happen in manual or vice versa.. it still shifts gears mechanically but with you controlling the electrical signals sent to those valves instead of the computer. but if you don't send the signal (to downshift at least) it will do it for you so that you aren't starting out in 4th unexpectedly. it will not upshift for you... even if you bounce off the rev limiter SEVERAL TIMES. believe me, i know from experience. again, not proud of what i've done.
__________________
μολὼν λαβέ from my cold, dead hands


"Voting FOR someone based on race/skin color is IDENTICAL to voting AGAINST someone based on race/skin color. Judge someone (positively or negatively) based solely on their race, by definition YOU ARE A RACIST... period" -Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Speed
Drew can be a bigger asshole than me, and tell them in 16353 ways that they're a moron for wasting his time, and still not answer them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogsmakdade
I am not helping you any more. you're a prick

Last edited by Beaker; 05-06-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tranny


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to know what shift link would work asap DaSmeagz 4th Gen Honda Prelude 7 03-15-2010 11:03 PM
2000 Prelude wont start sachamo88 5th Gen Honda Prelude 6 02-02-2010 03:08 AM
4th gen wont shift Tropicana92 4th Gen Honda Prelude 7 08-02-2009 08:21 PM
:::TheIsomotion31:::2000 Base, Auto TheIsomotion31 Member's Rides 6 03-21-2009 07:33 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.