Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 5th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road
idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

So my brother bought this car and when he started it and test drove it it idled. Now it don't idle. Basically this is what I've noticed while driving it.

Starting it up cold sometimes idles and then other times starts and dies.

Normal everyday driving shifting around 3 to 3500 rpm seems to idle just fine at about 1000 rpm's

If you ever rev the engine and let off...it will die for sure.

But sitting in the drive way idling and just feather the throttle to say 2k rpm and let off it will most likely die.

sometimes in the drive you might have to keep tapping the throttle several times before it does idle.

When it does idle it normally idles at or just below 1000 rpm and it's smooth doesn't have any issues

Now I've pulled the IACV off and cleaned it with break fluid and I've also adjusted the TPS...seemed to be better at first for about the first 5 minutes and then it was back to dieing
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

for anyone wondering...the car as suzuki racing cam gears and a aftermarket throttle body. Not sure about injectors or anything else. Just know what I can see first hand.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Rebel_Luder98's Avatar
Back from Haji Hell!

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,524
iTrader: (3)
Rebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Rebel_Luder98
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

The FINAL "problem starting engine" thread!!!!!
__________________
Stuck on in Iraq Right now! Aug 09' - ???
Pearl White 98 Prelude Base ~H23A Blue Top! ~

:::Rebel_luder98::: 98 Base
Great Info By 98vtec!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vtec View Post
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM
vtec9998's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Dragon 129 South
Posts: 368
iTrader: (0)
vtec9998 has a reputation beyond reputevtec9998 has a reputation beyond reputevtec9998 has a reputation beyond reputevtec9998 has a reputation beyond reputevtec9998 has a reputation beyond reputevtec9998 has a reputation beyond reputevtec9998 has a reputation beyond reputevtec9998 has a reputation beyond reputevtec9998 has a reputation beyond reputevtec9998 has a reputation beyond reputevtec9998 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by outinnowhere3193 View Post
So my brother bought this car and when he started it and test drove it it idled. Now it don't idle. Basically this is what I've noticed while driving it.

Starting it up cold sometimes idles and then other times starts and dies.

Normal everyday driving shifting around 3 to 3500 rpm seems to idle just fine at about 1000 rpm's

If you ever rev the engine and let off...it will die for sure.

But sitting in the drive way idling and just feather the throttle to say 2k rpm and let off it will most likely die.

sometimes in the drive you might have to keep tapping the throttle several times before it does idle.

When it does idle it normally idles at or just below 1000 rpm and it's smooth doesn't have any issues

Now I've pulled the IACV off and cleaned it with break fluid and I've also adjusted the TPS...seemed to be better at first for about the first 5 minutes and then it was back to dieing
sounds like an air/fuel ratio problem to me...whether its something to do with an actual sensor like ur IAC or FITV (fast idle thermo valve) or possibly an issue with a fuel pump...sounds more like a sensor imo...but all this aside, make sure that you dont use brake cleaner to clean off ur electronic components...use electronic cleaner for that, trust me there's a difference

Last edited by vtec9998; 03-01-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2011, 07:46 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec9998 View Post
sounds like an air/fuel ratio problem to me...whether its something to do with an actual sensor like ur IAC or FITV (fast idle throttle valve) or possibly an issue with a fuel pump...sounds more like a sensor imo...but all this aside, make sure that you dont use brake cleaner to clean off ur electronic components...use electronic cleaner for that, trust me there's a difference
Yeah I know it's a air/fuel issue. Just blows my mind that sometimes it's good and other times it isn't.

So to me that means a sensor isn't working 110%. Sometimes closing when it should or opening and other times it isn't.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Rebel_Luder98's Avatar
Back from Haji Hell!

 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,524
iTrader: (3)
Rebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond reputeRebel_Luder98 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Rebel_Luder98
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

sorry, just noticed... why exactly does it have suzuki cam gears? and how BIG of a aftermarket throttle body?
__________________
Stuck on in Iraq Right now! Aug 09' - ???
Pearl White 98 Prelude Base ~H23A Blue Top! ~

:::Rebel_luder98::: 98 Base
Great Info By 98vtec!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vtec View Post
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Staten Island ,NY
Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)
Chrisludetec is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chrisludetec
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

u cant always clean an iac valve, sometimes the spring inside gets closed shut because of all the grime and stuff so brake cleaner wont always help, but here is what i would do, compression test,fuel test,spark test, just start eliminating options man, like cars can fludder at idle for many reasons, are you tuned for those cams u have? do you have a stock throttle sensor? do you have a check engline light?
__________________
Awesome Bra
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisludetec View Post
u cant always clean an iac valve, sometimes the spring inside gets closed shut because of all the grime and stuff so brake cleaner wont always help, but here is what i would do, compression test,fuel test,spark test, just start eliminating options man, like cars can fludder at idle for many reasons, are you tuned for those cams u have? do you have a stock throttle sensor? do you have a check engline light?

My brother bought this car with the suzuki cam gears and the big intake. As far as compression I don't think that's a issue. I mean I don't know how this engine is suppose to run. But it runs good....yes I know low vac can cause it to throw off the map sensor. But like put it in gear and release the clutch. Everytime you put a load on it. It won't die at a idle.

But anyways like I was saying you can put it in first at a idle and it will just idle it's way down the road and you hit the throttle and it has good power ever from there for a 4 cylinder and good power when v-tec kicks in so I don't think compression is a issue.

I'm not sure how much bigger this aftermarket throttle body is. It has 3 letters on top SRS or something like that and I think it's using stock sensors on it.

I'm going to pull the IAC valve off again and completely go threw it. Last time I just filled the two wholes with brake cleaner and turned the key on and could see the fuild move so I knew it was moving and just done that like 5 times and stuck it back together so I probably didn't do any good.

But besides that I guess I got one other question. all of a sudden the low beam lights don't work. I have high beam but no low beam is this something that's normal for these cars to happen?

I know it could be a fuse I'm aware of that it's just like 0 degree's out and I'm a pussy when it comes to the cold lol
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)
dohcvtec is on a distinguished road
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

check your map sensor...
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 04:08 PM
keeganhmorgan's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cda Idaho
Posts: 1,174
iTrader: (0)
keeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

Do a compression test, could be a bad rings or maybe even your head gasket. Do a compression test and a leak down test.
__________________
Check out my build thread, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by havikprelude View Post
Idaho
where "driving" is synonomous with "rally"



Seriously...wtf is up with your roads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidinplay93 View Post
From to
Buy my stuff and help me finish my rebuild 5th Gen Parts
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeganhmorgan View Post
Do a compression test, could be a bad rings or maybe even your head gasket. Do a compression test and a leak down test.
I'm going to clean the IACV one for time completely. This time I'm going to make for sure it's good and clean...then I'm going look into the map sensor...I don't know how I didn't think of that I should be able to put it on a cpu and see what it's reading.

As far as a head gasket that was changed this summer and the head was rebuilt so I really doubt it's any of that.

I know how compression can hurt it. But if compression was the issue it would have the same problem everyday all the time but this comes and goes. It has to be sensor or fuel issue.

and actually it seems to idle better once warmed up. So if it was compression issue the compression would get worse do to the engine getting hotter not better.

Oh and did I mention this car only has 87000 miles on it. But I'm busy the rest of the day so I won't get to anything till tomorrow.

and I'm not trying to say your wrong about the compression I'm just saying I don't see it being the issue at the moment. But if the other two don't fix it or make it better I'll check the compression....I'll have to borrow a tester
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 PM
keeganhmorgan's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cda Idaho
Posts: 1,174
iTrader: (0)
keeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond reputekeeganhmorgan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by outinnowhere3193 View Post
I'm going to clean the IACV one for time completely. This time I'm going to make for sure it's good and clean...then I'm going look into the map sensor...I don't know how I didn't think of that I should be able to put it on a cpu and see what it's reading.

As far as a head gasket that was changed this summer and the head was rebuilt so I really doubt it's any of that.

I know how compression can hurt it. But if compression was the issue it would have the same problem everyday all the time but this comes and goes. It has to be sensor or fuel issue.

and actually it seems to idle better once warmed up. So if it was compression issue the compression would get worse do to the engine getting hotter not better.

Oh and did I mention this car only has 87000 miles on it. But I'm busy the rest of the day so I won't get to anything till tomorrow.

and I'm not trying to say your wrong about the compression I'm just saying I don't see it being the issue at the moment. But if the other two don't fix it or make it better I'll check the compression....I'll have to borrow a tester
True, not very likely to be the rings if it does better once warmed up. Id still do a compression test, and if it does it sometimes then it could be timing belt is off? idk i went out on a limb with that one, id do all of that before the compression test as you stated you were going to.
__________________
Check out my build thread, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by havikprelude View Post
Idaho
where "driving" is synonomous with "rally"



Seriously...wtf is up with your roads?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidinplay93 View Post
From to
Buy my stuff and help me finish my rebuild 5th Gen Parts
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeganhmorgan View Post
True, not very likely to be the rings if it does better once warmed up. Id still do a compression test, and if it does it sometimes then it could be timing belt is off? idk i went out on a limb with that one, id do all of that before the compression test as you stated you were going to.

yeah I didn't want to sound like a dick. ya know asking for advice then telling everyone they was wrong.

But I do see a lot of post about checking compression. Which is weird really....I mean why are so many people losing compression and having issues.

Ya know I'm use to the engine that you put 200k miles on it and it's no big deal.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2011, 06:51 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

Alright so I cleaned everything again real well and made sure it was all good. But while doing that I found a wire that had been patched and they used two connectors a male and a female. Well anyways they wasn't together and after resetting the computer I started it up and it actually idled without giving it gas to get it started. I was shocked. Idled at like 500rpm so I thought that was it.

P.S. code 23 knock sensor. Changed it and still code 23 this whole time. So I thought that wire that had been patched was to the knock sensor.

Anyways idled fine but coming from highway speed...push in the clutch and it died.

Start it back up take off in first then second and then pushed in the clutch and it idled.

pulled in the drive and it idled....

so I went to a highway speed drive again and the damn code 23 came on again...and guess what won't idle again.

So I know I've seen post about the wire or connector being bad.

So I'm tired of dealing with this damn knock sensor. Is there a pigtail you can buy for it and I'll just run a whole new wire.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)
outinnowhere3193 is on a distinguished road
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

well just to give ya all the update so you know for the future. I did change the knock sensor without removing anything....I just force my arm down in there and by breaking the plastic part off I was able to put a socket on it and get it out. Putting the new one in I didn't have a deep well so I just did my best to get it tight.

Well tonight while messing with the car I had the throttle body off again. and while just cleaning it up I noticed the valley for the map sensor was a little dirty. So I cleaned it and then decided to check the other end to see if it was dirty...

Needless to say the paper style gasket had formed to the valley and was restricting the air causing it to not get a good manifold air pressure...or vacuum reading.

So there ya have it...my idle issue was do to a paper gasket that had swelled.

and my knock is going to be due to not getting the knock sensor not being tight enough. But there we have it...idle issue do to damn factory gasket.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 03-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 80
iTrader: (1)
ace_degenerate is on a distinguished road
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

idle problem sux
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 03-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Staten Island ,NY
Posts: 196
iTrader: (0)
Chrisludetec is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chrisludetec
Re: idle issue. Sometimes does sometimes doesn't

good stuff man, take care of that honda :)
__________________
Awesome Bra
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
idle issue jmc803 4th Gen Honda Prelude 9 12-24-2010 03:18 AM
Idle issue Rain 5th Gen Honda Prelude 2 10-06-2010 03:55 PM
Idle Issue JARyder19 5th Gen Honda Prelude 8 04-12-2009 06:09 PM
idle issue white lemon 3rd Gen Honda Prelude 2 05-30-2008 09:43 AM
89 Si Idle Issue chi_town 3rd Gen Honda Prelude 0 04-18-2008 05:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.