Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 5th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
A few questions on a rebuild.

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 03:34 AM
xshadownetx's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: dallas area texas
Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)
xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx
A few questions on a rebuild.

Hey guys, to start off, I have a 5g with a H22..... My car had a miss fire in cylenders 2, 3, and 4 all at the same time, she also has a blown head gasket and a lose harmonic balance pully (not loose...it wobbles alot) I am shipping out in 21 days into basic training for the army and my whife is going to send my head and motor into a machine shop and have them do whatever.... I have an idea on what I want to do but some advice and some extra opinions on what to get would help out so much.

The missfires where my plug wires, no biggie, the reason im pulling the motor and lookin to rebuild it is because my inspection went out saturday and it wont pass, tires dont have enough tred and my CEL is going nuts on miss fires, plus whats the point in inspecting it and fixing it when its not going to be driven for half a year?

to give an idea of what im looking for is Quality parts.

I have been looking on honda performance, is there a better place to go?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Wait you owe a prostitute money? Let me paypal you that right now bro, I know how that goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just remember if they have teeth, they are cops.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 04:03 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)
chriscor08 is on a distinguished road
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

Start with the search button on this forum, its the best ull find everything your askin for! Beside that look into skunk 2 for cam gears,cam shafts,springs and retainers etc. just search!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Europe, Croatia, Gospić
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
jenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jenny Send a message via Skype™ to jenny
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscor08 View Post
Start with the search button on this forum, its the best ull find everything your askin for! Beside that look into skunk 2 for cam gears,cam shafts,springs and retainers etc. just search!
good advice!

I'm rebuilding the engine now as well, but for the time being I decided to get OEM parts 'cus I need the car every day and I don't have the time to wait for the performace parts to arrive from either Japan or USA.

A rebuild like mine gives you almoust no extra HP, it leaves a stock horsepower (190 HP I think) but I you look to buy Skunk 2, HKS, Greedy etc. products you are going to get some (not wery much) extra power becouse you are buying performance parts.

Anyway you need to know what is ti that you want from your engine/car..
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 AM
blackbb6's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville, TN!
Posts: 1,696
iTrader: (9)
blackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny View Post
good advice!

I'm rebuilding the engine now as well, but for the time being I decided to get OEM parts 'cus I need the car every day and I don't have the time to wait for the performace parts to arrive from either Japan or USA.

A rebuild like mine gives you almoust no extra HP, it leaves a stock horsepower (190 HP I think) but I you look to buy Skunk 2, HKS, Greedy etc. products you are going to get some (not wery much) extra power becouse you are buying performance parts.

Anyway you need to know what is ti that you want from your engine/car..

Yo your from croatia? What part? My best friend was born in croatia. Kinda cool to meet somebody else from there..


ANYWAYS!!! xShadownetx. Are u looking to gain power? Or just a basic rebuild. And if your looking into gaining power, how much do u want? Gotta give us more details bro.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 10:47 AM
xshadownetx's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: dallas area texas
Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)
xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

I searched I just want a more direct opinion for what I am doing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbb6 View Post
ANYWAYS!!! xShadownetx. Are u looking to gain power? Or just a basic rebuild. And if your looking into gaining power, how much do u want? Gotta give us more details bro.
I am looking to gain power;
What bore should I go with for max power?
I want to go with iron eagle sleeves and pistons.
Skunk 2 cam gears , which would work for max performance, stage 1, 2, 3 or pro series?
What crank should I get? stock one spun a bearing
what is a good throttle body.
what type valves.
what type retainers (titanium is good no?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny View Post
good advice!

I'm rebuilding the engine now as well, but for the time being I decided to get OEM parts 'cus I need the car every day and I don't have the time to wait for the performace parts to arrive from either Japan or USA.

A rebuild like mine gives you almoust no extra HP, it leaves a stock horsepower (190 HP I think) but I you look to buy Skunk 2, HKS, Greedy etc. products you are going to get some (not wery much) extra power becouse you are buying performance parts.

Anyway you need to know what is ti that you want from your engine/car..
I have 5 months I wont be driving so waiting on imported parts is no problem. Price is also not important, I want performance. the car will not be a daily driver, a fun car for when im tired of my GTI and r6 xP


I know im asking alot of noob questions and im going to get alot of SEARCH replies, but I started this thread as a more personalized opinion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Wait you owe a prostitute money? Let me paypal you that right now bro, I know how that goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just remember if they have teeth, they are cops.

Last edited by xshadownetx; 06-07-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Europe, Croatia, Gospić
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
jenny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to jenny Send a message via Skype™ to jenny
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbb6 View Post
Yo your from croatia? What part? My best friend was born in croatia. Kinda cool to meet somebody else from there..


ANYWAYS!!! xShadownetx. Are u looking to gain power? Or just a basic rebuild. And if your looking into gaining power, how much do u want? Gotta give us more details bro.
@black BB6: I'm from Lika-senj region!

@shadownet: the part you mentioned in your post above sound like a very good plan, and a good choice
Regarding Skunk2 camshafts, Pro stage is the one with the biggest gain of power, that's for sure, then if I were you I'd take Eagle sleevs, forged connection rods, skunk2 forged valves, valve guides, titanium retainers and stuff like that... Go to skunk2 website and check out their offer, they have a bunch of stuff for a serious power gain.


And as the cream on top of everything you can go for a turbo kit!

If I had didn't have to worry about the cost of my rebuild I'd order pretty much everything from skunk2...
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
xshadownetx's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: dallas area texas
Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)
xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

looks like im going all skunk2 with a GReddy timing belt, and balancer as well as TI-C exaust
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Wait you owe a prostitute money? Let me paypal you that right now bro, I know how that goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just remember if they have teeth, they are cops.

Last edited by xshadownetx; 06-07-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 343
iTrader: (0)
UntoTheCruel will become famous soon enoughUntoTheCruel will become famous soon enough
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

if you cam it your gonna need 3 inch exhaust.

also do a manual tensioner conversion. The stiffer valve springs will blow out the pos auto tensioner even if its brand new.

id also consider brian crower for the valves\springs\retainers if its cheaper..not sure what skunk 2 runs.

just make sure if you do a stage 3 cam you use titanium retainers.
__________________
The main thing is to be your self. Many times it is through a mistake that you learn and the main thing is to learn from your mistakes and get better. -Ayrton Senna
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 02:42 PM
1BadBB6's Avatar
I </3 Your Fake Wheels
ROTY `10!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Knoxvegas
Posts: 4,876
iTrader: (32)
1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute1BadBB6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UntoTheCruel View Post
if you cam it your gonna need 3 inch exhaust.

also do a manual tensioner conversion. The stiffer valve springs will blow out the pos auto tensioner even if its brand new.

id also consider brian crower for the valves\springs\retainers if its cheaper..not sure what skunk 2 runs.

just make sure if you do a stage 3 cam you use titanium retainers.
def do the tensioner conversion, its fairly cheap for the amount of reliability it gives you. BC's will be cheaper than the skunk2 pro series by almost half but produce way lower numbers.

pro series and BC's are good for midrange and tuner series are good for top end power you just gotta figure out where you want your power increase.

EDIT: there is also alot of good info this thread: H22 N/A rebuild...Good setup?? i suggest you read thru the whole thing.
__________________


1BadBB6, on Flickr

Like my photos? Buy them here: KTColePhotos


Last edited by 1BadBB6; 06-07-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 03:06 PM
xshadownetx's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: dallas area texas
Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)
xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadBB6 View Post
def do the tensioner conversion, its fairly cheap for the amount of reliability it gives you. BC's will be cheaper than the skunk2 pro series by almost half but produce way lower numbers.

pro series and BC's are good for midrange and tuner series are good for top end power you just gotta figure out where you want your power increase.

EDIT: there is also alot of good info this thread: H22 N/A rebuild...Good setup?? i suggest you read thru the whole thing.
thanks, I want mid range....to have fun every now and then =)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Wait you owe a prostitute money? Let me paypal you that right now bro, I know how that goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just remember if they have teeth, they are cops.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 PM
blackbb6's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville, TN!
Posts: 1,696
iTrader: (9)
blackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond reputeblackbb6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

ok so im confused. Are u going all motor or turbo?? I dont think you've said it yet. Im guessing your going all motor rite?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 PM
xshadownetx's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: dallas area texas
Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)
xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbb6 View Post
ok so im confused. Are u going all motor or turbo?? I dont think you've said it yet. Im guessing your going all motor rite?
all motor.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Wait you owe a prostitute money? Let me paypal you that right now bro, I know how that goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just remember if they have teeth, they are cops.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 PM
ranger11x's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: deltona fl
Posts: 824
iTrader: (0)
ranger11x has a reputation beyond reputeranger11x has a reputation beyond reputeranger11x has a reputation beyond reputeranger11x has a reputation beyond reputeranger11x has a reputation beyond reputeranger11x has a reputation beyond reputeranger11x has a reputation beyond reputeranger11x has a reputation beyond reputeranger11x has a reputation beyond reputeranger11x has a reputation beyond reputeranger11x has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ranger11x
Re: A few questions on a rebuild.

i'd do forged rods, skunk2 cams and valve train,type s pistons,new crank,port and polished head and intake manifold,port match 68mm throttle body to intake manny,an upgraded fuel delivery system,ignition upgrade, and good I/H/E setup of your choice and a good tune. dont see you may hit the 200 whp mark but it should make for some fun driving....just dont forget to upgrade the rest of the car when you add more POWWWAAAAAA!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rebuild Scott 2nd Gen Honda Prelude 1 05-30-2010 10:22 PM
rebuild or jdm h22 acardi 5th Gen Honda Prelude 18 11-25-2009 09:15 AM
Should I rebuild or get a JDM H22? meanshyguy 4th Gen Honda Prelude 5 08-18-2009 05:04 AM
rebuild htswmr6 Forced Induction 12 07-15-2008 02:05 PM
h23 Rebuild....? ShaGz 4th Gen Honda Prelude 5 06-22-2008 01:37 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:59 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.