Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 5th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
auto tensioner to manual

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)
shingi is on a distinguished road
auto tensioner to manual

Hey guys,

Is there really that much benefit to go from auto to manual for a stock prelude 97. I'm not planning to do any mods to the car except your aftermarket intake and muffler. I'm just not seeing what why it would be worth it to make a switch. Any inputs?

Shingi
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2010, 05:46 PM
twokexlv6coupe's Avatar
little green ghouls, buddy!!
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: kitten mittens
Posts: 17,844
iTrader: (9)
twokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to twokexlv6coupe
Re: auto tensioner to manual

auto tensioners are NOTORIOUS for failing prematurely.
if the timing belt tensioner fails, there's like a 10% chance your engine will be fine, but a 90% chance something will get messed up. depending on what speed the engine is at when it fails, it'll either bend a coupla valves, orrrrr all the valves will smack the pistons, basically destroying your entire engine.



you make the call
__________________

1995 Honda Prelude SE Turbo; 250whp, 275wtq @ 10psi Soldddd!!!

2000 Acura TL; DD
2005 Stage2.5+ Subaru WRB STi : RzKar!
Ivey Tuned - Advan - Cobb - Rallispec - CP - Perrin - ACT - KillerB - Carillo - TurboXS - Defi - Innovate - Walbro - DeatschWerks - Feal - H&R - Alpine - Infiniti - Curt

2001 Kawasaki STX1100 D.I. - Sold!
2007 Sea-Doo RXT 215; ET 127 +3 S/C impeller, DIY 3" intake, DIY resonator delete/free flow exhaust, DIY oil catch can, Rule 500gph bilge pump


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brash View Post
But you need that scoop on the hood. Is it true that they're big enough to fit your lunch box and all your camera gear in it?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2010, 08:36 PM
HypnoFish's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Davison, MI
Posts: 508
iTrader: (6)
HypnoFish has a reputation beyond reputeHypnoFish has a reputation beyond reputeHypnoFish has a reputation beyond reputeHypnoFish has a reputation beyond reputeHypnoFish has a reputation beyond reputeHypnoFish has a reputation beyond reputeHypnoFish has a reputation beyond reputeHypnoFish has a reputation beyond reputeHypnoFish has a reputation beyond reputeHypnoFish has a reputation beyond reputeHypnoFish has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to HypnoFish
Re: auto tensioner to manual

how often should you change out your manual tensioner? Wouldn't the spring lose some of its 'springiness' after a while?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 PM
twokexlv6coupe's Avatar
little green ghouls, buddy!!
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: kitten mittens
Posts: 17,844
iTrader: (9)
twokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond reputetwokexlv6coupe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to twokexlv6coupe
Re: auto tensioner to manual

every time you change the timing belt.
__________________

1995 Honda Prelude SE Turbo; 250whp, 275wtq @ 10psi Soldddd!!!

2000 Acura TL; DD
2005 Stage2.5+ Subaru WRB STi : RzKar!
Ivey Tuned - Advan - Cobb - Rallispec - CP - Perrin - ACT - KillerB - Carillo - TurboXS - Defi - Innovate - Walbro - DeatschWerks - Feal - H&R - Alpine - Infiniti - Curt

2001 Kawasaki STX1100 D.I. - Sold!
2007 Sea-Doo RXT 215; ET 127 +3 S/C impeller, DIY 3" intake, DIY resonator delete/free flow exhaust, DIY oil catch can, Rule 500gph bilge pump


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brash View Post
But you need that scoop on the hood. Is it true that they're big enough to fit your lunch box and all your camera gear in it?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2010, 10:17 PM
RandallSharp's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,172
iTrader: (3)
RandallSharp has a reputation beyond reputeRandallSharp has a reputation beyond reputeRandallSharp has a reputation beyond reputeRandallSharp has a reputation beyond reputeRandallSharp has a reputation beyond reputeRandallSharp has a reputation beyond reputeRandallSharp has a reputation beyond reputeRandallSharp has a reputation beyond reputeRandallSharp has a reputation beyond reputeRandallSharp has a reputation beyond reputeRandallSharp has a reputation beyond repute
Re: auto tensioner to manual

While on topic, does my 4G have an auto tensioner?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2010, 10:18 PM
ogsmakdade's Avatar
functioning on impatience

Photobucket
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: progression through unlearning
Posts: 13,920
iTrader: (6)
ogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond reputeogsmakdade has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ogsmakdade
Re: auto tensioner to manual

^ I really really wish you would search.









...please
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideswipe SI View Post
OGGS is a stuff a nerd in the locker type. He's only mellowed out 3 months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing8806 View Post
As it is, I wouldn't trust you washing my balls. And I typically let any trick hoe from OT do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
Reading this thread was like watching pulp fiction the first time...

Cool quote Utopia.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2010, 10:22 PM
dbd6604's Avatar
I wish I was Kat Dennings' bra

 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Quad-Cities, IL
Posts: 5,979
iTrader: (17)
dbd6604 has a reputation beyond reputedbd6604 has a reputation beyond reputedbd6604 has a reputation beyond reputedbd6604 has a reputation beyond reputedbd6604 has a reputation beyond reputedbd6604 has a reputation beyond reputedbd6604 has a reputation beyond reputedbd6604 has a reputation beyond reputedbd6604 has a reputation beyond reputedbd6604 has a reputation beyond reputedbd6604 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: auto tensioner to manual

Quote:
While on topic, does my 4G have an auto tensioner?
Since you want to be spoonfed: If you have an H22, yes, if you have an H23/F22, no. Unless you have an H22 and you already did the swap...which I doubt because you wouldn't ask if you did the swap already.

^^^Mind****.
__________________
Prelude Enthusiast: [prel-yood, preyl-, prey-lood, pree-lood], [en-thoo-zee-ast, -ist] noun: Someone who is willing to do whatever it takes to push the envelope, performance wise or stylistically, all the while brushing their shoulders off in a truly pimp-esque manor.

See also: Automotive Pioneer
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 03:56 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 200
iTrader: (0)
rhangman has a reputation beyond reputerhangman has a reputation beyond reputerhangman has a reputation beyond reputerhangman has a reputation beyond reputerhangman has a reputation beyond reputerhangman has a reputation beyond reputerhangman has a reputation beyond reputerhangman has a reputation beyond reputerhangman has a reputation beyond reputerhangman has a reputation beyond reputerhangman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: auto tensioner to manual

As I understand it they redesigned the auto-tensioner. Newer style ones should be fine on a stock engine. If you are running stiffer valve springs, etc. then it is safer to convert, might also want to upgrade to a Power Enterprise belt. On the other hand if it is time to do the belt, then no real harm in converting to a manual tensioner, probably works out around the same price if not cheaper than a new auto one.

Manual Tensioner Conversion Kit for H22A Series Engines :: Timing Belt Tensioner :: Belts :: Import Replacement Parts
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Rob Rob is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,513
iTrader: (2)
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: auto tensioner to manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
auto tensioners are NOTORIOUS for failing prematurely.
if the timing belt tensioner fails, there's like a 10% chance your engine will be fine, but a 90% chance something will get messed up. depending on what speed the engine is at when it fails, it'll either bend a coupla valves, orrrrr all the valves will smack the pistons, basically destroying your entire engine.



you make the call
Unless you went forged and got the cut outs for clearance. Boy I wish I did. Yeah your right you will bend pretty much all the exhaust valves. But for the auto tensioner, most people opt not to replace it on the first timing belt change so they had their chance, now when that thing fails per say its because the seal starts leaking fluid and once its gone lax it jumps timing and there you go. Now your doing another timing belt job, DON"T BE CHEAP REPLACE ALL THE PARTS WHILE YOUR IN THERE.
1. timing belt
2. auto tensioner
3. balance shaft belt
4. water pump
5. thermostat
6. a. while your there cam seals
b. Front main seal
c. valve cover gasket set


I could keep on going.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM
pcggattnc's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: port city nc
Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)
pcggattnc is on a distinguished road
Re: auto tensioner to manual

i know the thread is old but ive been having trouble installin the h23 m.t.b.t. in sequence with the kaizenspeed b.s.e. kit. i dont think i need the ballancer pully or the ballancer tensioner, but i keep getting photos frome kaizenspeed with the balancer shaft still in the motor and cant figure out how the manual belt tensiner monts up. pics of my prob on personal page. please help!!
__________________
pictures of turbo build are up on photobucket under "pcggattnc"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Timing Belt for Manual Tensioner Conversion? Lindso 4th Gen Honda Prelude 21 07-19-2012 01:56 AM
auto-manual tensioner link codeman110181 5th Gen Honda Prelude 1 12-09-2009 03:50 PM
link to manual tensioner kit codeman110181 5th Gen Honda Prelude 1 11-25-2009 11:05 PM
Manual Timing Belt Tensioner Conversion 01BASELUDE 5th Gen Honda Prelude 7 12-31-2007 04:40 PM
Manual Tensioner?? POOLELUDE Naturally Aspirated 9 09-03-2007 11:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:37 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.