Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 5th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
Bad Vibrations when accelerating

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lacombe, LA
Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)
shotlimit is on a distinguished road
Bad Vibrations when accelerating

I'm new to the forum so hello to everyone. I have a 97 prelude base model, auto with 190,000 miles. I have had this car for ten years and it's been great. Never had any problems really except for the transmission, which I replaced.

My car vibrates really badly when accelerating. The feel is similar to a tire really out of balance but I have brand new tires. When it's hot outside there is no problem but when it gets cold the problem appears. It only happens when the gas is pressed, when I let off the gas it stops. It's starts when the car reaches about 60mph. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by shotlimit; 01-07-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 01:41 AM
mortifiedvictim's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)
mortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

If you got new larger rims with your tires you may need spacers. The hot/cold thing is weird...

I'm having a problem that may be related to yours. We will see after I describe it. I'm gonna get my fuel system cleaned next tuesday. I think something got in one of the injectors or something. If anyone else has any ideas of what it could be I'm willing to give it a look.

Mine happened all of the sudden last week. When I was cruising on my 50 mile commute going 70mph the engine suddenly sounded crappy, like it was missing or something. When I tried to accelerate the issue got worse but if I decelerated the engine sounded okay. RPMS had nothing to do with it, I downshifted and it didnt sputter any worse. It was only when the engine had to "pull" the car forward. Hopefully that little input helps and is consistent with your issue.

Before when the issue initially happened I coulndnt accelerate hardly at all (going like 60+ when the problem "kicks in"). Now it still happens but I my engine doesn't have a problem pulling the car, but I am very gentle and am trying to not commute in it if another car is available.

If you can try to describe your problem in more detail or with any eliminations you've made of what it could be.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)
Morder_Preludexxx9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Okay guys... first from what pops in my head is there a hum when accelerating...? if so check the wheel hub assembly in the front... im not an expert its just my rear hub ass. went and it vibrated came to a slite hum and as i was looking into what it could have been it wasnt so the hum got louder till i got to that on my list. as for the 60+ bogging type thing for the second comment i was getting the same thing a while back and i figured fuel filter. so i ran some seafoam through my gas tank and it has taken care of it i think. im getting a new filter prob. in the next few days. hope i was of help and remember IM NOT AN EXPERT...LOL but im not dumb either. those are my guesses check em out
__________________
Morder_Preludexxx9 over and out
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lacombe, LA
Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)
shotlimit is on a distinguished road
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

I don't believe that the problem is engine related. I'm also no expert but I feel the vibrations in steering wheel at slower speeds. The temperature has been in the high 20's here so the problem has surfaced at slower speeds and thats when I can really feel it in the steering wheel. At higher speeds it feels like it's more in the floor. The faster the care goes, the faster the vibration, just like a tire out of balance and it's worse when I turn the car to the right.

BTW the rims and tires are stock.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM
92lude09's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SPT, IN
Posts: 349
iTrader: (1)
92lude09 has a spectacular aura about92lude09 has a spectacular aura about92lude09 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to 92lude09
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

I have the same problem, did it with my 17's on and when I put my stocks on for winter. I haven't looked into the problem, but I do know that sometimes it feels like the damn tire is going to fall off it gets so bad...
__________________
LOOKING FOR: VTEC REAR SUBWOOFER COVER AND MOUNTING BRACKET... PLEASE! PM ME!!!

92 SI Full Restore In The Making, Turbo Time!...ETA: Summer:2012
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 11:49 AM
JohnL114's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Queens
Posts: 475
iTrader: (1)
JohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Hey whats up . I read your problem ,it sound like a bad right side axle .The problem is probably it has no grease in it ,check the axle boots for tears and look for grease around the the transmission ,having that much mileage the axles will tear and dry up with time and then cause turning noises and vibrations ,also check your rotors for chatter and cracks ,they might need to be cut or replaced. Okay take care and keep posted on repairs .
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 12:15 PM
carfanatic98's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: jacksonville,fl
Posts: 462
iTrader: (4)
carfanatic98 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfanatic98 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfanatic98 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfanatic98 is a glorious beacon of lightcarfanatic98 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Hey im just now having the same problem. i have 16x7 rims on mine and the vibration sounds are coming from the driver side rear tire. i was told that it might be an unbalanced tire or a bearing issue since our cars are FWD. It gets really bad when i reach 60-90 and around cruising its fine nothing too bad.
__________________

1997 Nordic Mist-Parts car
1998 Nordic Mist-Daily Driver
2000 Black Hawk Pearl-Parts car
2001 Milano Red-Parts car
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lacombe, LA
Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)
shotlimit is on a distinguished road
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

An unbalanced tire could definitly cause the problem. I had my tires balanced, the problem was still there. I bought four brand new tires, had them mounted and balanced and the problem was still there so I don't think the tires are my problem. Maybe hub assm. or axles, not sure.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 01:46 PM
JohnL114's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Queens
Posts: 475
iTrader: (1)
JohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnL114 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

hey carfanatic the noise in the rear, do a simple test just put the front wheel on the rear and see it that changes the noise ,also make sure the wheel isn't bent ,check inside the wheel ,and wheel bearings usually make roaring noise ,if it has vibration most likely is a bent wheel.You can also jack up the car and turn the wheel by hand and see if you can hear the noise of the bearing ,with the car up in the air go to the wheel from the top and bottom and try to wiggle the wheel from side to side it shouldn't have any motion to it .Okay hope this gives you an idea.Later Keep posting hit me up if need more info.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)
domswe is on a distinguished road
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortifiedvictim View Post
If you got new larger rims with your tires you may need spacers. The hot/cold thing is weird...

I'm having a problem that may be related to yours. We will see after I describe it. I'm gonna get my fuel system cleaned next tuesday. I think something got in one of the injectors or something. If anyone else has any ideas of what it could be I'm willing to give it a look.

Mine happened all of the sudden last week. When I was cruising on my 50 mile commute going 70mph the engine suddenly sounded crappy, like it was missing or something. When I tried to accelerate the issue got worse but if I decelerated the engine sounded okay. RPMS had nothing to do with it, I downshifted and it didnt sputter any worse. It was only when the engine had to "pull" the car forward. Hopefully that little input helps and is consistent with your issue.

Before when the issue initially happened I coulndnt accelerate hardly at all (going like 60+ when the problem "kicks in"). Now it still happens but I my engine doesn't have a problem pulling the car, but I am very gentle and am trying to not commute in it if another car is available.

If you can try to describe your problem in more detail or with any eliminations you've made of what it could be.
sounds exactly what happened to mine a while back, turned out to be moisture in the spark plug wells, causing misfiring.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Kronicus's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: new mexico-albuquerque
Posts: 435
iTrader: (0)
Kronicus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kronicus
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

im having a very similar issue and ive almost got it isolated to the right side cv axle.
the reason you might not feel it when its warm is the tires get a little softer and absorb some of the vibes.
try dropping the tire pressure down 10psi or so for a quick drive.

the vibes i get will not present it self till about 60+ mph and either in 3rd 4th or 5th the problem can be felt in the steering wheel brake pedal and clutch.
feels like a tire off balance and if u floor it the vibes instantly get worse, if you back of the throttle it decreases but if u neutral out of the gear it almost goes away but is still present under high speed. the higher the rpm's the worse it gets.
so i thought tires, i went and had them balanced did not even affect it. so then next comes rotors wheel bearing that kinda stuff.
i just replaced the rotors and inspected the tie rods and bearings everything is stout.
under further investigation i found the boot on my passenger side cv is torn almost completely around and the grease (or whats left of it) has all made it to one side of the boot meaning under 50+ mph of rotation a few ounces of grease can feel like 20lbs of off balance once it gets ob-longed.
as we all know from the principals of how tire balance weights work.
i am going to try and change the axle out this weekend will update l8r
__________________
We beat eBay every day.
505-730-4061
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...30883303593710

Last edited by Kronicus; 01-08-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lacombe, LA
Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)
shotlimit is on a distinguished road
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

I'm thinking my issue is very closely related to yours from the sound of your symptoms. I looked at the boots and they arent completly torn up like yours but they do look very worn. I guess 190k miles will do that.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM
mortifiedvictim's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)
mortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronicus View Post
im having a very similar issue and ive almost got it isolated to the right side cv axle.
the reason you might not feel it when its warm is the tires get a little softer and absorb some of the vibes.
try dropping the tire pressure down 10psi or so for a quick drive.

the vibes i get will not present it self till about 60+ mph and either in 3rd 4th or 5th the problem can be felt in the steering wheel brake pedal and clutch.
feels like a tire off balance and if u floor it the vibes instantly get worse, if you back of the throttle it decreases but if u neutral out of the gear it almost goes away but is still present under high speed. the higher the rpm's the worse it gets.
so i thought tires, i went and had them balanced did not even affect it. so then next comes rotors wheel bearing that kinda stuff.
i just replaced the rotors and inspected the tie rods and bearings everything is stout.
under further investigation i found the boot on my passenger side cv is torn almost completely around and the grease (or whats left of it) has all made it to one side of the boot meaning under 50+ mph of rotation a few ounces of grease can feel like 20lbs of off balance once it gets ob-longed.
as we all know from the principals of how tire balance weights work.
i am going to try and change the axle out this weekend will update l8r
Your issue as you described it is almost exactly my issue as well, with one exception. You said as your RPMS go up your vibrations get worse. My vibrations are correlated with speed.

Example:
If I'm going 70mph @ 3500rpm in 5th gear I can downshift to fourth gear and have 4500rpm @ 70mph and the vibrations are roughly the same. They only get worse when I try to make the car go faster, which made me think cv too.

So I look under my car just now and bam, broken cv boot, no grease on joint. I bet that is the issue for me too. I'm still cleaning the fuel system on tuesday and I'll do my cv as well. I'll post results when done.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 07:42 PM
mortifiedvictim's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)
mortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotlimit View Post
I'm thinking my issue is very closely related to yours from the sound of your symptoms. I looked at the boots and they arent completly torn up like yours but they do look very worn. I guess 190k miles will do that.
Wow, if you have 190k on ure car and you haven't done cv work yet consider yourself stupidly lucky. Every FWD car I've owned I've done cv work on (bear in mind I only buy used cars and I drive AGRESSIVELY).

Also, from what I've heard is if the boot doesnt pop off and you still have some grease in there you might be able to remove the old boots, get some new ones, pack them with grease and re-apply. But i think that "trick" only applies to newer cv's with a recently broken boot that you catch before a problem arises. Just food for thought.

Good luck guys, and wish me luck too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 PM
94ludeguy's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: atlanta,ga
Posts: 2,834
iTrader: (9)
94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute94ludeguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

ok... here is one issue that it is most likely it... and it happens when it gets cold outside. and seems like alot of you are experiencing this issue... what happens is when you car tires heat up from the drive home then u park it all night. or the car sits for a long time. they get cold again and the tires become ever so slightly out of round and develop a small flat spot on each part of the tire that is touching the ground. the "unbalanced" feel should get better as the tires warm up.. but if its 20 degrees out they probly wont ever.

not saying this is 100% the problem but it could be
__________________

94 si jdm h22 w/chipped p28
Georgia prelude club member #3
Georgia prelude club website
my ride<----check it out
MY 240 project~~ 300hp here i come
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2010, 04:24 PM
forben's Avatar
Not So New
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 29
iTrader: (0)
forben has a reputation beyond reputeforben has a reputation beyond reputeforben has a reputation beyond reputeforben has a reputation beyond reputeforben has a reputation beyond reputeforben has a reputation beyond reputeforben has a reputation beyond reputeforben has a reputation beyond reputeforben has a reputation beyond reputeforben has a reputation beyond reputeforben has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

I have 95 VTEC with 190k on it and had a similar problem. The who suspention system was bad.
- CV boot broke (greese all over inside of rim)
- Upper and lower ball joints bad (cluncky sound over big bumps - bad alignment - vibration)
- Radius arm bushing fail (clunk when accelerating/brake - bad castor)
- Inner Tie rods (vibration - bad alighment - bad wheel control)

Essentially everything that holds the wheel on needed to be replaced. It is a 'suspention system.' The whole system wears out together.

Some ways to check the parts:
Ball joints - are the boots broken ; Yes = replace
Upper ball joint - don't jack up the car, grab the top of the wheel and yank hard and sudden. If there is a clunk - the upper ball joint is bad
Radius arm bushing - don't jack up the car, push and pull on the radius arm closer to the connection at front of car. It there is any movement the bushing is bad.
Tie rods - jack up car, grab wheel with one hand at 3 o'clock and the other at 9 o'clock. see if you can wiggle the wheel in and out. If there is any play in the wheel the tie rods may be bad. (keep and eye on the steering wheel - the play in the front wheel should not move the steering wheel)
Also check the rotors - a rotor that needs turned can feel like an out of balance wheel.

All these parts work together. If one fails, it will cause the other to wear much faster.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 01-11-2010, 11:58 PM
mortifiedvictim's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)
mortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

^ +rep
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 AM
Vipers4Life's Avatar
Internet Badass

 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,492
iTrader: (1)
Vipers4Life has a reputation beyond reputeVipers4Life has a reputation beyond reputeVipers4Life has a reputation beyond reputeVipers4Life has a reputation beyond reputeVipers4Life has a reputation beyond reputeVipers4Life has a reputation beyond reputeVipers4Life has a reputation beyond reputeVipers4Life has a reputation beyond reputeVipers4Life has a reputation beyond reputeVipers4Life has a reputation beyond reputeVipers4Life has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by forben View Post
I have 95 VTEC with 190k on it and had a similar problem. The who suspention system was bad.
- CV boot broke (greese all over inside of rim)
- Upper and lower ball joints bad (cluncky sound over big bumps - bad alignment - vibration)
- Radius arm bushing fail (clunk when accelerating/brake - bad castor)
- Inner Tie rods (vibration - bad alighment - bad wheel control)

Essentially everything that holds the wheel on needed to be replaced. It is a 'suspention system.' The whole system wears out together.

Some ways to check the parts:
Ball joints - are the boots broken ; Yes = replace
Upper ball joint - don't jack up the car, grab the top of the wheel and yank hard and sudden. If there is a clunk - the upper ball joint is bad
Radius arm bushing - don't jack up the car, push and pull on the radius arm closer to the connection at front of car. It there is any movement the bushing is bad.
Tie rods - jack up car, grab wheel with one hand at 3 o'clock and the other at 9 o'clock. see if you can wiggle the wheel in and out. If there is any play in the wheel the tie rods may be bad. (keep and eye on the steering wheel - the play in the front wheel should not move the steering wheel)
Also check the rotors - a rotor that needs turned can feel like an out of balance wheel.

All these parts work together. If one fails, it will cause the other to wear much faster.
Great Info!!!
__________________

http://www.preludezone.com/members-r...e-01-base.html
Check out my ride here!^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
if it's knocking, don't answer it. it's prolly nothing but bad news bears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brash22 View Post
As much as I'd love to see this done, I offer you the same comment I offer everybody else: There's no point in being the first to do something if you're second across the finish line.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lacombe, LA
Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)
shotlimit is on a distinguished road
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Thanks for all the replies guys, this is great information.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Rob Rob is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 1,513
iTrader: (2)
Rob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond reputeRob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morder_Preludexxx9 View Post
Okay guys... first from what pops in my head is there a hum when accelerating...? if so check the wheel hub assembly in the front... im not an expert its just my rear hub ass. went and it vibrated came to a slite hum and as i was looking into what it could have been it wasnt so the hum got louder till i got to that on my list. as for the 60+ bogging type thing for the second comment i was getting the same thing a while back and i figured fuel filter. so i ran some seafoam through my gas tank and it has taken care of it i think. im getting a new filter prob. in the next few days. hope i was of help and remember IM NOT AN EXPERT...LOL but im not dumb either. those are my guesses check em out

you have a bunch of mediums here, so I have no idea where to start but seeing you put seam foam in I would say you have a clogged injector, You had me at the wheel hub then it leans me towards bushings in the control arms. Your so all over the place so I have no clue unless I was there to troubleshoot it with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotlimit View Post
I don't believe that the problem is engine related. I'm also no expert but I feel the vibrations in steering wheel at slower speeds. The temperature has been in the high 20's here so the problem has surfaced at slower speeds and thats when I can really feel it in the steering wheel. At higher speeds it feels like it's more in the floor. The faster the care goes, the faster the vibration, just like a tire out of balance and it's worse when I turn the car to the right.

BTW the rims and tires are stock.
no here again I'm leaning towards bushings, but then you mention turning towards the right, does your half shafts make a clicking noise when turning hard right under acceleration? If so its your axles, and possibly some bushings going bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL114 View Post
Hey whats up . I read your problem ,it sound like a bad right side axle .The problem is probably it has no grease in it ,check the axle boots for tears and look for grease around the the transmission ,having that much mileage the axles will tear and dry up with time and then cause turning noises and vibrations ,also check your rotors for chatter and cracks ,they might need to be cut or replaced. Okay take care and keep posted on repairs .
I agree if the axle clicks when turning sharply

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic98 View Post
Hey im just now having the same problem. i have 16x7 rims on mine and the vibration sounds are coming from the driver side rear tire. i was told that it might be an unbalanced tire or a bearing issue since our cars are FWD. It gets really bad when i reach 60-90 and around cruising its fine nothing too bad.
rear wheel hub and possibly bushing in lower control arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotlimit View Post
An unbalanced tire could definitly cause the problem. I had my tires balanced, the problem was still there. I bought four brand new tires, had them mounted and balanced and the problem was still there so I don't think the tires are my problem. Maybe hub assm. or axles, not sure.

bushings, bearings all thee above. Especially if the car has 120 K plus, I took my Prelude in to the dealer just last week and had the oil changed and ask then to just inspect it because I was thinking about selling it and want to get her in good shape and they saw the rear right lower control arm one of the bushings was crushed and needed replacement. So take yours in I only paid $30 for the oil change and inspection.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:11 PM
mortifiedvictim's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)
mortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond reputemortifiedvictim has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Just got my car out of the shop today. $220 for the driver's cv + installation not to bad imo. Fixed my vibration issue.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 01-13-2010, 04:30 AM
xshadownetx's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: dallas area texas
Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)
xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx xshadownetx
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

i have the same problem, but i have a bent rim =P
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 AM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lacombe, LA
Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)
shotlimit is on a distinguished road
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Ok, still havn't done any repairs yet, what do you guys make of this? The weather has been cold for a while but over the weekend, it warmed up considerably into the 70's. The vibrations went away and car rode fine. Today it's back down into the high 30's and the vibrations are back with the cold weather. Is this really odd?
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santee, California
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
BatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these parts
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

I think forben and 94ludeguy have it on the spot..i had the same issue..i checked it myself before going to the shope...turned out bad tie rod and the cv boot was shot...got everything ordered and taken care of about a week later and now my car rides like a dream...hope this helps
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Psychochimp's Avatar
Grand Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: China
Posts: 4,203
iTrader: (2)
Psychochimp has a reputation beyond reputePsychochimp has a reputation beyond reputePsychochimp has a reputation beyond reputePsychochimp has a reputation beyond reputePsychochimp has a reputation beyond reputePsychochimp has a reputation beyond reputePsychochimp has a reputation beyond reputePsychochimp has a reputation beyond reputePsychochimp has a reputation beyond reputePsychochimp has a reputation beyond reputePsychochimp has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Psychochimp
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLude View Post
I think forben and 94ludeguy have it on the spot..i had the same issue..i checked it myself before going to the shope...turned out bad tie rod and the cv boot was shot...got everything ordered and taken care of about a week later and now my car rides like a dream...hope this helps
I have the same random vibration while accelerating.

How much was your tie-rod and CV joint run you?!?!
I gotta get my issue checked out. It also could be my axle...
__________________

SIG by MS PEDO
BUSTR BUILT PERFORMANCE

http://www.preludezone.com/auto-show...tml#post376941

N.Y.P.O.C. FB----> Like us! http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/NYPOC/131187396961077


Quote:
Originally Posted by M0B5TA View Post
i hope my boss doesnt look at my explorer history i had to look up gay guys and dildos
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 01-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santee, California
Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)
BatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these partsBatLude is infamous around these parts
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

you could have a bent axle or some ****..it ran me about 200 for the cv boot...i got alittle jipped but it was good work so its cool...and im not sure about the tie rod i would have to check
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Not So New
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)
devilmaycry is on a distinguished road
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morder_Preludexxx9 View Post
Okay guys... first from what pops in my head is there a hum when accelerating...? if so check the wheel hub assembly in the front... im not an expert its just my rear hub ass. went and it vibrated came to a slite hum and as i was looking into what it could have been it wasnt so the hum got louder till i got to that on my list. as for the 60+ bogging type thing for the second comment i was getting the same thing a while back and i figured fuel filter. so i ran some seafoam through my gas tank and it has taken care of it i think. im getting a new filter prob. in the next few days. hope i was of help and remember IM NOT AN EXPERT...LOL but im not dumb either. those are my guesses check em out
How many miles did you get with your car and how much performance did you noticed after you seafoamed. Can you pm me with the details? I've heard a lot about seafoam that works a lot in a high mileage engine.

Last edited by devilmaycry; 06-26-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2010, 02:46 AM
Harmswahy's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Federal Way, Washington
Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)
Harmswahy has a reputation beyond reputeHarmswahy has a reputation beyond reputeHarmswahy has a reputation beyond reputeHarmswahy has a reputation beyond reputeHarmswahy has a reputation beyond reputeHarmswahy has a reputation beyond reputeHarmswahy has a reputation beyond reputeHarmswahy has a reputation beyond reputeHarmswahy has a reputation beyond reputeHarmswahy has a reputation beyond reputeHarmswahy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmaycry View Post
How many miles did you get with your car and how much performance did you noticed after you seafoamed. Can you pm me with the details? I've heard a lot about seafoam that works a lot in a high mileage engine.
We have plenty of threads with very good details on seafoam, please search more instead of bringing back threads that have not been looked at in five months.....
__________________
1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 SI
B20A5


I MY
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
havikprelude's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,477
iTrader: (0)
havikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

It's prolly something rubber. Bushings or ball joints. They can cause sht to move when it isn't supposed to, which move your caster positive, which will give you wheel shake at higher speed. Thats something a decent alignment technician can diagnose. Also bad rubber parts usually cause problems when cold and go away when they warm up. Look up something called "morning sickness."

That may have something to do with the tire too, possible torn belt or something, I forget what morning sickness actually applies to, but its a well known problem with a clear cause. I could find it for you, but I'm not sue where my S&S books are, and I forget what section its in. Might also be in my notes.


Anyway without me not being lazy and actually looking it up, to find a bad tire you'd take it off, and feel it. Should not have any odd lumps or bulges anywhere. Also, roll it. If it rolls straight you're ok. If it rolls all fuked up then the belt in the tire isn't straight. That'll cause vibration.

Also check your bushings and ball joints. Ball joints should not be ripped, or flat. They should be plump and squishy. There's 4 in the front. Also don't rule out the rear. The front tires follow the rear, believe it or not. So if there's something in the rear thats fuked up it will cause problems in the front. Also check bushings, tie rods, bearings, etc. Basically just get under there, grab stuff and try to shake it. Everything should be tight and not have any play in it.


Gah I could prolly be more specific but I have too much else on my mind right now.
__________________

Battery, Starter and Alternator Testing Procedures
Problems starting engine? | 5th gen resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadBB6 View Post
You're such a whiny little douche sometimes, but posts like these make me love you.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
havikprelude's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,477
iTrader: (0)
havikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond reputehavikprelude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bad Vibrations when accelerating

Bah....double post for teh lose.




Ok, definitely too much on my mind.....did not even realize this was a dead thread.


Damn voodoo people keep tryin to zombify threads...
__________________

Battery, Starter and Alternator Testing Procedures
Problems starting engine? | 5th gen resource

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadBB6 View Post
You're such a whiny little douche sometimes, but posts like these make me love you.

Last edited by havikprelude; 06-25-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WEIRD NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE/ACCELERATING RED99VTEC 5th Gen Honda Prelude 9 03-21-2009 12:01 PM
Thump noise when accelerating! runtingz General Tech Talk 18 11-09-2008 06:19 PM
Chugging/Stalling when shifting or accelerating after coast Rustysandwich 3rd Gen Honda Prelude 3 11-12-2007 12:09 AM
Hard vibrations when turning insanodano 3rd Gen Honda Prelude 19 10-21-2007 12:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.