Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 4th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
Heat Sheild or exhaust mount broke/lose?

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
Monitorize is on a distinguished road
Heat Sheild or exhaust mount broke/lose?

so i was driving around and stuff but i had to head home to do something and not 20 mins later is start my car and it starts making like this rattling noise or something so i ignore it for now then i drove around and went to a friends house and the noise got worse over night some how. heres a vidoe of it

https://vimeo.com/155456566
im not sure how to embed it
Edit: When i push down on the gas the noise either goes away or is very very quite it only makes this noise when its idling

Last edited by Monitorize; 02-15-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-16-2016, 02:19 AM
eddiejb11's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 118
iTrader: (0)
eddiejb11 has a reputation beyond reputeeddiejb11 has a reputation beyond reputeeddiejb11 has a reputation beyond reputeeddiejb11 has a reputation beyond reputeeddiejb11 has a reputation beyond reputeeddiejb11 has a reputation beyond reputeeddiejb11 has a reputation beyond reputeeddiejb11 has a reputation beyond reputeeddiejb11 has a reputation beyond reputeeddiejb11 has a reputation beyond reputeeddiejb11 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heat Sheild or exhaust mount broke/lose?

Check for pebbles on your heat shields, preferably around your cat. Had that on my teggy once. The change in rpm= change in dB, giving you different vibration in your exhaust thus meaning that pebble jumps at different rpm. Take the shield off and turn it on, see if it goes away
__________________
98 gsr, totaled RIP
98 base prelude
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2016, 07:27 PM
bykfixer's Avatar
Supreme Member
Photobucket
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: could you repeat the question?
Posts: 11,121
iTrader: (4)
bykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond reputebykfixer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heat Sheild or exhaust mount broke/lose?

On my 5g there was a rattle at certain rpm's...an un-nerving rattle.

Turns out one of the screws fastening the 2 halves of the heat shield had broken due to rust.
I zip-tied the 2 halves together until the new screw(s) arrived at my local dealer.
One was a nut/bolt combo and the other was a bolt that threaded into the car side of the heat shield from the road side.
Did it while the car was up on ramps during an oil change.

If memory serves like $5-8 for the parts...maybe less as it was a couple of years ago.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by ogsmakdade View Post
welcome to site Carl
...is a golden car fax kinda like a golden ticket? Sure hope willy wonka didn't put any snozberries in your motor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspectro29 View Post
Only seen the first one, 15 years ago in theaters. Plan on keeping it that way. Get off my lawn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindso View Post
I remember my first thread, asking what a noise was when I got going 110mph.
Pretty much got flamed for driving like a jackass and was told to slow down. And I'll be damned, slowing down fixed it.

God's Not Dead
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2016, 10:08 PM
SirSSpec's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 393
iTrader: (1)
SirSSpec has a reputation beyond reputeSirSSpec has a reputation beyond reputeSirSSpec has a reputation beyond reputeSirSSpec has a reputation beyond reputeSirSSpec has a reputation beyond reputeSirSSpec has a reputation beyond reputeSirSSpec has a reputation beyond reputeSirSSpec has a reputation beyond reputeSirSSpec has a reputation beyond reputeSirSSpec has a reputation beyond reputeSirSSpec has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heat Sheild or exhaust mount broke/lose?

I had a rattle on my 5th gen. One part of it was the bottom bolt on the exhaust manifold heat shield. If you don't have that heat shield, it could be one of the others under the car. The other rattle I heard, which sounded a lot like a heat shield was the honeycomb inside the cat had fractured. It kept on for over a year before it dislodged and blocked the exhaust completely.

Jack the car up, put it on stands (can't stress this enough), get underneath and start banging on things till you find whats rattling.
__________________
Normal service has been resumed as soon as possible.

1997 Prelude base [wrecked]
1999 Prelude base, ["frame off" restoration + SiR S-Spec build]
1996 Prelude SR(Si), daily driver --> H23A VTEC (+ 4ws) [SOLD]
1990 Nissan 300ZX [Summer fun]
1994 Subaru SVX LSi [sold]
2009 Audi S5 4.2 V8 [daily]
Project "C" [coming soon]
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 PM
I'm New
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)
Monitorize is on a distinguished road
Re: Heat Sheild or exhaust mount broke/lose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
On my 5g there was a rattle at certain rpm's...an un-nerving rattle.

Turns out one of the screws fastening the 2 halves of the heat shield had broken due to rust.
I zip-tied the 2 halves together until the new screw(s) arrived at my local dealer.
One was a nut/bolt combo and the other was a bolt that threaded into the car side of the heat shield from the road side.
Did it while the car was up on ramps during an oil change.

If memory serves like $5-8 for the parts...maybe less as it was a couple of years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiejb11 View Post
Check for pebbles on your heat shields, preferably around your cat. Had that on my teggy once. The change in rpm= change in dB, giving you different vibration in your exhaust thus meaning that pebble jumps at different rpm. Take the shield off and turn it on, see if it goes away
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirSSpec View Post
I had a rattle on my 5th gen. One part of it was the bottom bolt on the exhaust manifold heat shield. If you don't have that heat shield, it could be one of the others under the car. The other rattle I heard, which sounded a lot like a heat shield was the honeycomb inside the cat had fractured. It kept on for over a year before it dislodged and blocked the exhaust completely.

Jack the car up, put it on stands (can't stress this enough), get underneath and start banging on things till you find whats rattling.
Thank you guys both for the help but it turns out half of my heat shield was off. i just ripped the rest off ( it was hanging on by 2 points) and it sounds perfect. then i went and got new tires and finally got some rims. next thing i need to do is fix the scratches on my new paint job and tint my windows then its on to converting it to manual and working on the engine and making it faster.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Header heat sheild question 01PreludeBlue 5th Gen Honda Prelude 29 08-24-2012 11:53 AM
Exhaust pipe broke under cheap megan headers, best option? dudemaster 5th Gen Honda Prelude 5 08-17-2012 02:26 PM
Will I lose much power with a 3" catback exhaust, or should i get Less diameter? Mitch_H22 5th Gen Honda Prelude 11 01-15-2010 11:52 AM
exhaust manifold heat shield H22lude317 4th Gen Honda Prelude 2 02-07-2009 07:40 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.