Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 4th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
The most simple swap from a s22

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 02:40 AM
samson_420's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)
samson_420 is on a distinguished road
The most simple swap from a f22a1

What motor would be the simplest swap to do? I really wanted to build my f22a1, but it is really one of the worst Honda motors from what I see.

I would love to go all out, but I want the simplest DOHC direct swap.

Is there a cost efficient one? I figure it will cost me about 600 Bucks to build the f22 by hand myself. If I can get a complete drop in long block for around a Grand it would be great.

Last edited by samson_420; 04-29-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 03:21 AM
Nfrank89's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 422
iTrader: (0)
Nfrank89 has a reputation beyond reputeNfrank89 has a reputation beyond reputeNfrank89 has a reputation beyond reputeNfrank89 has a reputation beyond reputeNfrank89 has a reputation beyond reputeNfrank89 has a reputation beyond reputeNfrank89 has a reputation beyond reputeNfrank89 has a reputation beyond reputeNfrank89 has a reputation beyond reputeNfrank89 has a reputation beyond reputeNfrank89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

h23 and h22 are both dohc and swap right in (with the corresponding wiring harness). h22 has vtec. if i were you i'd build a low comp h23 turbo. you can get the motor for like $700.
__________________
Franklin Automotive Electronics - Seattle, WA
2 Ludes:
Milano Red 92' 4WS H22A -Check it out! Silver 94' S F22 < For Sale

Lowered 1.7" in front, 1.5" in back on Neuspeed Sports using Tokico Illuminas
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
samson_420's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)
samson_420 is on a distinguished road
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

I been looking at some h23's. . . A turbo is not really an option, well at least for now.

What will I need to make This fit? I mean, it looks great and damn cheap. But I need to make it run and run right.

Like the harness, what do I do with it? Can I splice it all down? Do I need a different PCM?
Will the stock 5 speed I have bolt right up? Are the mounts the same?

I wish I could follow someone else s swap due to my noobness.

Last edited by samson_420; 04-29-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Phantom240's Avatar
Platinum Member

 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 2,388
iTrader: (3)
Phantom240 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom240 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom240 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom240 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom240 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom240 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom240 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom240 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom240 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom240 has a reputation beyond reputePhantom240 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
I been looking at some h23's. . . A turbo is not really an option, well at least for now.

What will I need to make This fit? I mean, it looks great and damn cheap. But I need to make it run and run right.

Like the harness, what do I do with it? Can I splice it all down? Do I need a different PCM?
Will the stock 5 speed I have bolt right up? Are the mounts the same?

I wish I could follow someone else s swap due to my noobness.
You'll need the ECU that goes with the motor. As far as the harness, you can get away with just extending a couple wires for an H23 swap, or adding wires for the VTEC in an H22 swap... but for the most part, the harnesses are pretty similar if my memory serves me right.

Yes, the tranny will bolt right up, so long as your car is already a 5 speed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
it'll sound like an ultralight airplane or a moped exhaust funneled through a kazoo.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:13 PM
samson_420's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)
samson_420 is on a distinguished road
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

Good info, is there any semi solid write ups on this anywhere?

It is a 5 speed, so that should be good.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:27 PM
92ProjectSiPrelude4w's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orlando
Posts: 554
iTrader: (3)
92ProjectSiPrelude4w is a jewel in the rough92ProjectSiPrelude4w is a jewel in the rough92ProjectSiPrelude4w is a jewel in the rough
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

I did the swap from a f22 to jdm h23 dohc vtec (h23 block, h22 head, all out of a sir accord wagon). All the mounts line up except for the one on the drivers side which can be fixed by taking the one off the f22 and putting it on the h23. This motor will cost you around $900 and you'll need a chipped p28 which you can gen from phearable.com for $200 and you'll also need subharness for this from rywire.com for about $60. This h23 vtec is obd2 so you'll need to take the harness off the f22 and injector plugs. Get a fuel line to reach across so you can keep the intake that comes with it. Use the intake plenum off a h23 usdm obd1 and also use external dizzy and coil. Or you can just go with an obd1 h22 and the only thing you'll need is the ecu and subharness and that motor will run you about $800. Pm me if you need some help in this situation. Neither swap will be cheap due to the fact that you will run into problems when taking the car apart (**** will break and you'll find parts that need to be replaced). The h23 vtec swap cost me about a total of $2000 but was totally worth it. You'll be passing h22's and get alot of compliments on the job. Good luck and let everyone know exactly what you want to do so that we may assist you further.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:35 PM
samson_420's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)
samson_420 is on a distinguished road
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

I found a H23a Non Vtec for one Grand shipped to my door step. From what I understand it is a direct fir coming from the f22a1. . . . Right?

Last edited by samson_420; 04-29-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM
jackp0t's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: vancity , BC
Posts: 713
iTrader: (3)
jackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
I found a H23a Non Vtec for one Grand. From what I understand it is a direct fir coming from the f22a1. . . . Right?
it is bro. just have to add at least 2 wires but for 1000 is expensive
u can get a h22 for that price and just add 4 wires and ecu
if you search around this fairly alot of info regarding h23,h22,h23vtec swaps

but to answer ur first post
the easiest dohc swap will be the h23 non vtec


Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ProjectSiPrelude4w View Post
I did the swap from a f22 to jdm h23 dohc vtec (h23 block, h22 head, all out of a sir accord wagon). All the mounts line up except for the one on the drivers side which can be fixed by taking the one off the f22 and putting it on the h23. This motor will cost you around $900 and you'll need a chipped p28 which you can gen from phearable.com for $200 and you'll also need subharness for this from rywire.com for about $60. This h23 vtec is obd2 so you'll need to take the harness off the f22 and injector plugs. Get a fuel line to reach across so you can keep the intake that comes with it. Use the intake plenum off a h23 usdm obd1 and also use external dizzy and coil. Or you can just go with an obd1 h22 and the only thing you'll need is the ecu and subharness and that motor will run you about $800. Pm me if you need some help in this situation. Neither swap will be cheap due to the fact that you will run into problems when taking the car apart (**** will break and you'll find parts that need to be replaced). The h23 vtec swap cost me about a total of $2000 but was totally worth it. You'll be passing h22's and get alot of compliments on the job. Good luck and let everyone know exactly what you want to do so that we may assist you further.
alot of misinformation here . if u search in the first place u woulda never spent 2g's and buy un necessary parts and missing parts
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 01:46 PM
samson_420's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)
samson_420 is on a distinguished road
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackp0t View Post
it is bro. just have to add at least 2 wires but for 1000 is expensive
u can get a h22 for that price and just add 4 wires and ecu
if you search around this fairly alot of info regarding h23,h22,h23vtec swaps

but to answer ur first post
the easiest dohc swap will be the h23 non vtec



alot of misinformation here . if u search in the first place u woulda never spent 2g's and buy un necessary parts and missing parts

Cool, I thought 1k is a bit much. But, I can't find any others. I found one locally with 180k for 400 Bucks, but that is some high miles.


What other wires does the f23a need compared to my SOHC?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM
jackp0t's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: vancity , BC
Posts: 713
iTrader: (3)
jackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond reputejackp0t has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
Cool, I thought 1k is a bit much. But, I can't find any others. I found one locally with 180k for 400 Bucks, but that is some high miles.


What other wires does the f23a need compared to my SOHC?
i believe its the knock sensor and iabs.
if u want less hassle and has more kick to it.
h22 should be a good start bro
if u are mechanically inclined it will b cheaper than paying some else for labor
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
naj3000's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: tulsa OK
Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (1)
naj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to naj3000 Send a message via Yahoo to naj3000
Re: The most simple swap from a f22a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
What motor would be the simplest swap to do? I really wanted to build my f22a1, but it is really one of the worst Honda motors from what I see.

I would love to go all out, but I want the simplest DOHC direct swap.

Is there a cost efficient one? I figure it will cost me about 600 Bucks to build the f22 by hand myself. If I can get a complete drop in long block for around a Grand it would be great.
I would just like to inform you that the F22ax motor is NOT the worse honda motor ever. An F22 is actually the most powerful N/A honda to date as of now. Now Im fully aware that Bisi had a massive budget. It has a very effiecent head design as it flows very well. People down it becasue its not vtec or DOHC. Im not just going to sit hear and say BISI BISI BISI with out any actull info but here we go take a look over this.

"The guesswork is now gone with the F22A. We have all you need to exceed your goals. A simple recipe:

86mm bore
12:1 Bisimoto shelf pistons
Custom Bisimoto level 2.9 camshaft
Ported head (will help a bunch)
Bisimoto pro springs
H23 intake manifold
Oversized throttle body
Bisimoto F22a header (or at least something decent)
2.5" or larger exhaust system
Good engine management (AEM or Hondata)

Voila!!"

this info can be found @
All motor f22a build - Page 2 - onecamonly.com.

and someone may ask "well naj3000 why don't you have a 250whp F22 if you believe in this guy and what he said."Well that is because, I'm in flight school and that is getting all of my money.
__________________
life's a bitch? Naw man, its just the people in it.




The relationship between me and the Airforce.

Last edited by naj3000; 04-29-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: I figure its about time i post somthing helpful here agine
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 PM
92ProjectSiPrelude4w's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orlando
Posts: 554
iTrader: (3)
92ProjectSiPrelude4w is a jewel in the rough92ProjectSiPrelude4w is a jewel in the rough92ProjectSiPrelude4w is a jewel in the rough
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackp0t View Post
it is bro. just have to add at least 2 wires but for 1000 is expensive
u can get a h22 for that price and just add 4 wires and ecu
if you search around this fairly alot of info regarding h23,h22,h23vtec swaps

but to answer ur first post
the easiest dohc swap will be the h23 non vtec



alot of misinformation here . if u search in the first place u woulda never spent 2g's and buy un necessary parts and missing parts
All of the parts I bought were needed in the swap. this was a car that has 190k and the shi**iest f22 when it originally came with a h23 non vtec. I bought it for 1800 in terrible condition. As I took this car apart, everything broke, axles, clutch, steering arms. And not to mention it had an aftermarket alarm that messed up and I had to get it removed for $200 (ripoff). This car also had bad breaks and abs was shot so I spent 600 on all new rotors, calipers, and pads (brenbo). I work on all kind of honda swaps just as a hobby. And if he has the same car I do or year even then he'll need these parts for a h23 vtec. Just trying to let the guy know what he's getting himself into. But yes the h23 non vtec would be a direct fit.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 07:18 PM
samson_420's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)
samson_420 is on a distinguished road
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

Well, the motor is out. . . Transmission case is cracked, so I might do a full H22 swap. . . Maybe. This actually a friends car, all the work is done by me. Originally I wanted to build what was in it, but now we don't know.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 PM
nevrdun's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montana
Posts: 1,432
iTrader: (1)
nevrdun has a reputation beyond reputenevrdun has a reputation beyond reputenevrdun has a reputation beyond reputenevrdun has a reputation beyond reputenevrdun has a reputation beyond reputenevrdun has a reputation beyond reputenevrdun has a reputation beyond reputenevrdun has a reputation beyond reputenevrdun has a reputation beyond reputenevrdun has a reputation beyond reputenevrdun has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The most simple swap from a f22a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj3000 View Post
I would just like to inform you that the F22ax motor is NOT the worse honda motor ever. An F22 is actually the most powerful N/A honda to date as of now. Now Im fully aware that Bisi had a massive budget. It has a very effiecent head design as it flows very well. People down it becasue its not vtec or DOHC. Im not just going to sit hear and say BISI BISI BISI with out any actull info but here we go take a look over this.

"The guesswork is now gone with the F22A. We have all you need to exceed your goals. A simple recipe:

86mm bore
12:1 Bisimoto shelf pistons
Custom Bisimoto level 2.9 camshaft
Ported head (will help a bunch)
Bisimoto pro springs
H23 intake manifoldh
Oversized throttle body
Bisimoto F22a header (or at least something decent)
2.5" or larger exhaust system
Good engine management (AEM or Hondata)

Voila!!"

this info can be found @
All motor f22a build - Page 2 - onecamonly.com.

and someone may ask "well naj3000 why don't you have a 250whp F22 if you believe in this guy and what he said."Well that is because, I'm in flight school and that is getting all of my money.
Thank you for posting! There are many people who believe that on a "blackboard/do the math" level the F22 is one of the more superior engines in its category and Bisi has figured out how to get this out to the masses.

Aaaaanyway....to the o.p. sounds like you have a good start take your time do the research and use common sense and it will turn out well.
__________________
JDM: Just Doesn't Matter

Team BBeer6
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 PM
samson_420's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)
samson_420 is on a distinguished road
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

Hmmm, damn $. . . . I want to go all out NA. But these limited funds kind of prevent that.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2011, 11:37 PM
naj3000's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: tulsa OK
Posts: 1,401
iTrader: (1)
naj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond reputenaj3000 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to naj3000 Send a message via Yahoo to naj3000
Re: The most simple swap from a f22a1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrdun View Post
Thank you for posting! There are many people who believe that on a "blackboard/do the math" level the F22 is one of the more superior engines in its category and Bisi has figured out how to get this out to the masses.

Aaaaanyway....to the o.p. sounds like you have a good start take your time do the research and use common sense and it will turn out well.
no problem i figured i should try to be useful around here.
__________________
life's a bitch? Naw man, its just the people in it.




The relationship between me and the Airforce.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04-30-2011, 08:38 PM
samson_420's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)
samson_420 is on a distinguished road
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

Well, looking at all the options. I think a full h22 drive train swap is the best "bang for the Buck". 200 horse or so all with low miliage. Full swap PCM and all. I approximate about 2k for all give or take a few hundred bucks.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2011, 12:31 PM
92ProjectSiPrelude4w's Avatar
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orlando
Posts: 554
iTrader: (3)
92ProjectSiPrelude4w is a jewel in the rough92ProjectSiPrelude4w is a jewel in the rough92ProjectSiPrelude4w is a jewel in the rough
Re: The most simple swap from a s22

If you do a h22 swap then it won't be that much, I'd say it would be more around $1500 with trans. get the subharness thought and a longer fuel line.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
simple question Kronicus Naturally Aspirated 6 02-16-2009 08:46 PM
Simple Green Extreme BadMofo Product Reviews 13 09-16-2008 06:57 PM
Simple JDM headlight Q? h23bb2 4th Gen Honda Prelude 8 07-03-2008 01:33 PM
Got some simple questions. muha22752 General Tech Talk 7 06-24-2008 03:32 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.