Honda Prelude Forum
 
Go Back   Honda Prelude Forum > Tech-Talk > 4th Gen Honda Prelude

Thread Title
car still wont start

 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 AM
H22lude317's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Jerz
Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)
H22lude317 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to H22lude317
car still wont start

i thought it was a bad ground i guess i was wrong
it will crank all day just wont kick over
i undid the banjo bolt on the fuel rail and it is pouring fuel out when we try to start it
it kicked over once a few days ago
i guess i lost spark?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 AM
si96Lude's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kalamazoo,Michigan
Posts: 415
iTrader: (6)
si96Lude has a spectacular aura aboutsi96Lude has a spectacular aura about
Re: car still wont start

check if your getting spark. if not then you know what the problem is.
__________________
Quote:
no offense but honda horns tend to sound pretty gay. so gay it starts to become cool again.
Courtesy of ninety3lude. This made me laugh so hard for some reason.


MICHIGAN HONDA PRELUDE CLUB
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Floor-eeduh
Posts: 549
iTrader: (0)
ShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond reputeShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond reputeShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond reputeShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond reputeShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond reputeShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond reputeShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond reputeShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond reputeShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond reputeShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond reputeShoofIsLudin has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ShoofIsLudin
Re: car still wont start

check spark, and compression next..
I just mentioned this in another thread, but engines need spark, fuel, and compression to start...

If you don't have a compression tester, take out the spark plugs, and take off the valve cover, and use a 19mm socket to turn the crank over by hand, and make sure the cams are turning when the crank does.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2009, 03:32 PM
H22lude317's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Jerz
Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)
H22lude317 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to H22lude317
Re: car still wont start

okay today i cleaned the spark plugs
it kicked over 2 or 3times
then just cranked again
everytime it kicked over it bogged down and died immediately

trying to get new spark plugs tonight

keep in mind i have a iat sensor cel
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Kronicus's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: new mexico-albuquerque
Posts: 435
iTrader: (0)
Kronicus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kronicus
Re: car still wont start

a iat intake air temp sensor wont cause a car (i hope not) to not run.
if cleaning your plugs changed state in your problem id stick in that area.
are you familiar with a volt meter.
can you ohm out your wires.
pulled the cap and rotor off yet....
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2009, 08:46 PM
H22lude317's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Jerz
Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)
H22lude317 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to H22lude317
Re: car still wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronicus View Post
a iat intake air temp sensor wont cause a car (i hope not) to not run.
if cleaning your plugs changed state in your problem id stick in that area.
are you familiar with a volt meter.
can you ohm out your wires.
pulled the cap and rotor off yet....
I have a volt meter
how many ohms should show?
i bought a cap and rotor a few days ago put them on
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 PM
si96Lude's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kalamazoo,Michigan
Posts: 415
iTrader: (6)
si96Lude has a spectacular aura aboutsi96Lude has a spectacular aura about
Re: car still wont start

any luck yet?
__________________
Quote:
no offense but honda horns tend to sound pretty gay. so gay it starts to become cool again.
Courtesy of ninety3lude. This made me laugh so hard for some reason.


MICHIGAN HONDA PRELUDE CLUB
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-17-2009, 11:29 PM
H22lude317's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Jerz
Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)
H22lude317 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to H22lude317
Re: car still wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by si96Lude View Post
any luck yet?
after i cleaned the spark plugs it kicked over three times
im gonna try different plugs, i got cheap ones to see if my problem is my NGK's, they look fouled
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Not So New
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)
PR4NDEFF is on a distinguished road
Re: car still wont start

Im havin a very similer prob and lookin in all the same places (ignition) , but mine starts for about 20 mins then bogges, and die's then wouln't start till the next day. So i guess i agree with them keep lookin in the same direction, and let us know what happens, i might need the info my self. Luck!!
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 PM
H22lude317's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Jerz
Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)
H22lude317 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to H22lude317
Re: car still wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR4NDEFF View Post
Im havin a very similer prob and lookin in all the same places (ignition) , but mine starts for about 20 mins then bogges, and die's then wouln't start till the next day. So i guess i agree with them keep lookin in the same direction, and let us know what happens, i might need the info my self. Luck!!

do you have a cel? i got mine to start with new spark plugs, dizzy cap and rotor, changed battery cables they were frayed. but still bogs its the IAT sensor malfunctioning i gotta get a new one

i have cel code 10
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Kronicus's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: new mexico-albuquerque
Posts: 435
iTrader: (0)
Kronicus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kronicus
Re: car still wont start

i dont have a manual at the moment but if your wires are measuing more than just a 1000 or 2000 ohms of resistance per foot tops they should be replaced.
its different with every manfacturer. example performance wires the good ones start at around 300 ohms per foot, for the cheap stuff.

look for cold spots to move the wire around see if it increases or looses conuinity

just a few seconds can rule out an item completly without replacing.
best way to go for everything (to me) except plugs if in doubt replace them.
i get bad on that tho every time someone asks me what do you think is wrong with my car the first thing i ask is what do the plugs look like, even if they reply, it pulls to the right. lol
is there anything else you played with related to fuel or something eletric when it tryed to start.

Last edited by Kronicus; 02-18-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 02-18-2009, 10:16 PM
H22lude317's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Jerz
Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)
H22lude317 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to H22lude317
Re: car still wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronicus View Post
i dont have a manual at the moment but if your wires are measuing more than just a 1000 or 2000 ohms of resistance per foot tops they should be replaced.
its different with every manfacturer. example performance wires the good ones start at around 300 ohms per foot, for the cheap stuff.

look for cold spots to move the wire around see if it increases or looses conuinity

just a few seconds can rule out an item completly without replacing.
best way to go for everything (to me) except plugs if in doubt replace them.
i get bad on that tho every time someone asks me what do you think is wrong with my car the first thing i ask is what do the plugs look like, even if they reply, it pulls to the right. lol
is there anything else you played with related to fuel or something eletric when it tryed to start.

thanks man i replaced my spark plugs and it started without any hesitation
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Kronicus's Avatar
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: new mexico-albuquerque
Posts: 435
iTrader: (0)
Kronicus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Kronicus
Re: car still wont start

i mean i know money is tight, but dont ever guess on plugs, be perpaired to part with them at a moments notice...
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 AM
H22lude317's Avatar
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Jerz
Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)
H22lude317 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to H22lude317
Re: car still wont start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronicus View Post
i mean i know money is tight, but dont ever guess on plugs, be perpaired to part with them at a moments notice...
yeah until i fix the iat sensor ill probably have to buy some more sets

only 8 bucks no biggy
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 PM
The_Ludeman's Avatar
I'm New
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)
The_Ludeman is on a distinguished road
Re: car still wont start

I have a similar problem except I changed the head because i blew the gasket and it ran before i changed the head. now it just tries to start and fouls the plugs. plugs come out black ! Check your main relay
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Wont Start When I'ts Hot Outside!! Help! dannyv209 4th Gen Honda Prelude 12 04-28-2009 11:23 PM
Prelude wont start MexicanLude 4th Gen Honda Prelude 8 02-05-2008 02:22 AM
wont start... racer_smokm1 4th Gen Honda Prelude 0 08-31-2007 11:44 PM
Urgent!! Wont Start!! Need Help steelheart 3rd Gen Honda Prelude 20 07-13-2007 09:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


Copyright © 2006-2009 PreludeZone.com All Rights Reserved.